Adding honey to second fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyjonjon

Reaction score
Sooooo, i've racked a batch of cider, and at this point i'm considering throwing some honey in there and letting it go through another fermentation cycle. Just to kind of see what will happen and how it will taste.

two questions:
1. Will this work?

2. How much honey should i put in?

It will cause more fermentation. If that is what you mean by "work", then yes. You can put in as little or as much honey as you want.

What is your goal exactly?

You'll definately get a second fermentation going... My concern would be the amount of honey added. If you're adding a few pounds of honey, you may need to let your batch condition for quite a while. Just look at mead makers; waiting 1-2 years for batches of mead to "cool down" enough to drink. Personally, I would go for a different type of sugar such as brown sugar if you're just looking to bump up the ABV%.

I've added honey to several batches, loved the results. If you add enough to end up in >50% of the fermentables being honey, it technically is no longer a cider but an apple mead or cyser. And it won't greatly extend the aging process, true, if you give it 9 months to a year it will improve, but you don't have to.

Back