an Homage to the man who got me brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
This is the story of the man who got me into brewing.

I have known Greg since I was 2 years old when we moved onto his parents ranch. He was the same age group as my older brother, and I grew up with his younger brother. After we moved away, and I grew up I had not seen Greg in years. Then, I was married and we were pregnant with our first child, Greg and his wife were in the same lamaze class. Our oldest children were born a day apart in the same hospital. Our wives and children have become friends over the years since.

Greg was diagnosed with a viral heart condition over 20 years ago when he was still in college, and was given just years to live. As he was unable to work due to the heart condition, he often kept himself busy with home hobbies. He wasn't able to drink much of what he made, often just a taste, but the science behind it I think is what drove him.

That worked for me though, as I was often his taste tester :ban: Greg not only gave me my first taste of homebrew, but also my first taste of mead. Of course it wasn't til I was near the bottom of a 22oz bottle of it that he mentioned just how much alcohol was in it :drunk:

Now his younger brother, whom I grew up with, and myself both homebrew.

Four months ago, Gregs heart condition worsened and surgeons installed a complete artificail heart while they waited for a donor. After four months of wating, Greg recieved his new heart yesterday :D

Please read the following articles:

Billings patient in Salt Lake City waiting for heart transplant

Man from Billings gets donor heart

As of the last update, Gred is doing great with his new heart. They have removed the breathing tubes, and expect to have him up and walking today. When they installed his artificial heart, they anticipated him being in a coma for several days, up to several weeks or even months, depending on his recovery. Greg was up and walking the next day, and off pain meds within days. My wife calls him a rockstar!

Anyways, this has been filling my time over the past several days, and I am so glad for Greg and his family.

Tonight, as you partake in your homebrew of choice, please raise a glass to a fellow homebrewer :mug:

Awesome! Its nice to hear good stories!

Now tell him to stop being a wuss get out there and do an Ironman!

PROST!

Thanks for all the support, keep it coming!!

Greg had a bit of a rough day, his kidneys started to shut down and they put him on dialysis for a few hours. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Back