Homebrew oddity of the day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFAJ Brew Guy

Reaction score
So I a while back a brewed a blonde and I was not to happy with it. It was drinkable but not all that great. I had used some older leaf hops that I had in the fridge, pretty sure that is what messed it up. So I decided that I was going to dump it, no need in having terrible beer on tap. Anyway I finally got around to doing that tonight. So I open up the keg and start to poor, there is liquid coming out, but it seems odd, the keg is not getting any lighter. So I tip the thing back over and hear a clunk. Odd, so I look in the keg and there sits about 2 gallons of ice. Yep ice. I immediately panic, I keep my yeast in that fridge. I go check the yeast, there are ok. So I check the other keg, poor a pint, check the temp, 43deg. Good as I set the fridge at 42. Check the few bottles I have in the door, all liquid. At this point I am very confused.

Why would the one keg freeze while everything else in the fridge stayed ok?

Only thing I can think of is you have one spot in your refrigerator that gets below freezing. I've got a spot like that in mine (the one I use for food, not beer). It's in the back of the middle shelf, right under where the cold air comes in from the freezer. Things in that spot sometimes freeze, even though everything else is OK, and the thermometer further out on that shelf always reads between 35 and 40. In your case, maybe you have cold air pooling on the bottom right where that one keg was located.

Could be, and I am not going to discount anything as of now but I have never had this issue before so it struck me as odd. Then again the laws of physics have been known to just get up and leave around my house, so who knows.

Had you recently put a full keg in to cool, causing the fridge to run continuously for a long period? If you had below freezing temp. air entering for a long time, it might cool one spot near the point of entry to below freezing.

So, did you actually pour the beer out?

Cause the unfrozen beer that you had there reminds me of Samischlaus, which is one of the world's great beers...

Man, if 2/5ths of that beer froze, imagine the ABV of what was left!

I brew arround 7% normally, if i froze 2gal of it, that would put it to over 10abv fortified beer... Can't believe you poured that out! Bottle it, and call it a limited edition!

I thought my lines were clogged. I checked and sure enough, the lines were against the back of the fridge and frozen. I can see where one keg might have been touching the cold spot in the fridge and turning frozen, while the other is just fine.

My kegerator does that if I keep something against the cooling lines in the back. They get to like 26 deg but my fridge stays at 41. I have to make sure to keep my beer lines in the middle as they will act like a heat exchanger into the keg freezing it much faster. Good times. Like Arkador said, the one keg I did freeze was a 3 gallon keg and it froze like 1/3 of it, the rest was potent and almost good. Once pint and you felt it, pretty cool when you do that. Good ol' freeze distillation (might do that on purpose some day).

Have you looked at a pressure differential in your kegs? Pressurizing liquids will change their boiling and freezing points. I know a vacuum will lower boiling points and pressure raises it, but right now I can't remember what pressure does to freezing. May want to google it.

Back