'Fess up! Who is guilty of staring at the damned airlock??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripod

Reaction score
Greetings All!

I know I'm still new at this...but I am freekin' mesmerized and nearly hypnotized by the bubbling air-lock! My wife is worried that she can no longer lure me away with her feminine wiles! :D

Who's guilty? Confess and you shall be free! ;)

-Tripod

Whoops! I spelled guilty wrong. One day I'll learn how to type and drink at the same time...;)

I'll admit it, as long as you admit that you've also sniffed the airlock.

C'mon, I know you have.

C'mon, I know you have.

I have a very hoppy American IPA going in my primary currently - you bet your biffy I have been sniffing that airlock! Wonderful hop aroma is being painfully drained out of my IPA...

I am a proud

airlock sniffer1.bmp.jpg

I use the triple ripple airlocks because I enjoy the action of them more than the three piece airlocks.

I'm not ashamed to admit I sniff it as well.

I'm half tempted at times to drink the vodka from it after racking off the beer.

There's a cure for that, you know? Sniff the airlock on a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein 3-4 days into fermentation.

dre0492l.jpg

After a few particularly messy fermentations, I've converted to blowoff tubes on my primaries. Man, that is WAAAAAAY more entertaining than staring at the airlock. blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub!

Not only am i guilty of watching it im guilty of sniffing it. I also enjoy sitting and watching my carboys. The swirling and the Krausen and the airlock and the smell. Damn im a F'ing geek.

My 4.5 yo son likes to be lifted up to sniff the airlocks now after seeing me do it so often.

Mostly "That Stinks Daddy" but he still does it.

Who isn't guilty?

I walked out today without looking at my bubbling airlocks, and I am all antsy about it know. I kissed my wife and hugged my 7 and 5 year old sons, but I forgot about my one week old twins! What kind of a father am I?!?

TL

The house could be burning down around me and I'd still be sitting indian style like a 2nd grader during story time watching the bubbles.

mines in the bathtub usually so everytime im in there i gotta watch.....but ive been using the blowoff lately so i just watch the bubbles. and also my cat is fascinated with watching the blowoff do its thing

These days the fermenters are out of sight out of mind except for a once a day "check on them". I keep mine in the fermentor cabinet.

Before tha I used the spare 3/4 bath. I never really was mesmerized by teh airlock and I have always fermented in plastic buckets (so I don't even watch the swirling of fermentation) but, I do miss the smell of that room.

I would open the door and sniff everytime I went by. It even got to the point that I could disern by the strength of the aroma that fermentation was on the downhill side.

C'mon, I know you have.

I'm So Busted! I do sniff the airlock! :p

I have my setup in a closet so when I open the door a get a nice, beery aroma... I plan on using the carboy for batch #2 so I already know I'll be zoned into the "blizzard".

I'm still on #1 so I check it first thing in the morning, before I leave for work, as soon as I get home and just before bed. The first time I was at work (away from my baby :) ) I had to talk my wifey into checking it for me...now she calls every other hour with a report whether or not I ask for it!

This is so cool...why, oh why didn't I discover homebrew earlier in life? :) Most people say the fascination will fade as I get more experience but I truly hope they are wrong!

-Tripod

PS - HAPPY FRIDAY!! :tank:

I have along with my 3.5yr old daughter.

So now when she is with me and I ask her to see if it's done... she runs to the back room and looks at the "bubbles" and comes back to tell me the status.

I know bubbles dont mean jack, but it gives her some sense of helping Daddy. Along with cleaning labels off bottles.

I confess and I have video proof - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa5dfIXw-9c]YouTube - i've awaken a monster[/ame]

C'mon, I know you have.
I don't have to sniff, just opening the freezer fills the room with the aroma.:) The real admission would be if you tasted the airlock. To that I say no, but I have thought about harvesting form the blow off bottle.:D

Nothing like a good whiff off the airlock early on. Smells great. My cats are obsessed with blowoff rigs. They put their faces down into the bucket and jump when it bubbles, then do it over and over.. I stare at them. :)

Note to self; do not swap beer with McKBrew, nor let him add his batch to the Pinot Noir barrel. We don't want THAT kind of funk in the beer.

Another looker and sniffer here. I bring friends down to the basement to have a sniff. Most of them don't get it at all so that's more yeasty goodness for me.

I am guilty of NOT watching the airlock, and today looked to find many fruitflies who had found their way through the cap.

Latest posts

Back