worste thing you ever tried

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klcramer

Reaction score
So what is the strangest brew you ever tried to make or have made? If you already made it how did it come out? (just courious)

Recently i primed a beer with 1 cup of molasses...boy was that a mistake! The result was a coyingly sweet beer that i could barely drink one of.

Another thing i regretfully did was bottle a beer and leave ZERO headspace as per Dave Miller's suggestion. The thing was that it took about 3 months to fully carbonate! I actually drank them all flat, but my friend kept one for at least 3 months and THAT one was perfect) This is a good idea to do with a beer you plan on 'aging' like a big belgian or russian stout. In theory no head space=no air for oxidation/staling, it works but you must be VERY patient...

I once tried to convert a non alcohlic ginger beer recipe to an alcoholic ginger beer, using the recipe given by a friend, the original recipe(using only fresh ginger) only made a couple of litres so I extrapolated the amounts to make 23 lt. It seemend to brew out properly but the end product was electrifying and by that I mean Shocking!!! Dunno what I did wrong but whatever it was I did it wrong in a big way.

Well, my currently brewing batch is a red raspberry ale. It was supposed to have been black raspberry but I could not find any, either fresh or frozen. Since I figured black raspberries would really darken the batch a lot, I started with a very very pale ale base.

It now is sitting in the tertiary and it looks like Hawaiian Punch. It will probably taste good but next time I will look harder for those black raspberries! :D

Bjorn Borg said:
Another thing i regretfully did was bottle a beer and leave ZERO headspace as per Dave Miller's suggestion. The thing was that it took about 3 months to fully carbonate! I actually drank them all flat, but my friend kept one for at least 3 months and THAT one was perfect) This is a good idea to do with a beer you plan on 'aging' like a big belgian or russian stout. In theory no head space=no air for oxidation/staling, it works but you must be VERY patient...

:off:

Sorry for the hijack--but that is an outright genius idea.

*files away for another day*

Dude said:

Sorry for the hijack--but that is an outright genius idea.

*files away for another day*

I guess you missed where the "Marine" was telling people do do this.... ;)

Well I am not sure what Barly Wine is supposed to taste like, but we toasted with it last Saturday..... there were many there I tried and enjoyed them all... except the Barly Wine..... It was very sweet. The cup was emtied and was in the car on the way home and the car smelled a strong honey smell that just would not leave very peacefully.

I made my first stout, basically as an excuse to use up a bunch of stuff I'd had sitting around for a while. It was a 12L monster, OG 1.111, FG 1.038.

It still hasn't carbonated properly (after more than three months), and tastes pretty horrific.

Beer from cactus paddies. Forunately, only a 5 liter test batch. 2# of lite malt, and a bunch of catus run through a blender. Like spicy green beans, slimey as Aloe Vera gel. Into the compost pile. I think the poly-fructans need a different enzyme to break the chains.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I tried to make a sour mash beer. The mash stank, and so did the beer. I might try it again, though, just because I'm stubborn (aka stupid) like that.

I remember doing that one and can never forget the smell even after 13 years. Second in the running is a strawberry brew in the same time frame. The pulp never settled and turned brown in the bottle. It gave a new meaning to "chewy".

Lost said:
stay away from molasses. even in small amounts.

The first stout I made (a kit) had some black strap in it, and it was fantastic. Though... if you don't like molasses at all, then clearly you would want to avoid adding it to your brew, but I thought it was excellent.

These chipotle and other pepper beers that some people talk about sound aweful to me, though.

Probably the craziest thing I ever did with my newb brewing buddies from college back in the late 90's was an ale with a healthy dose of weed in it. How was it, you ask? I vaguely remember it being very tastey (and very potent.)

-walker

The milk stout in my sig. I secondaried it on top of 6oz of fresh cracked coffee beans for a week. The coffee flavor and aroma is overwhelming, which is a shame, because the base beer is really good.

It's actually good as a "novelty beverage", but it's a pretty gnarly beer.

Back