about minute rice in mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snazzy

Reaction score
I was given the suggestion to use minute rice in my cream ale, well I went to get some from the pantry and all there is is brown minute rice.
Has anyone ever used it or does anyone know the effects of brown might be?
Does it even have a chance to to get any fermentables out of a mash?

I suspect you'd have to cook brown rice for a long time (overcook, basically boil it to mush) before you'd get anything useful out of it in the mash. Otherwise it'll be way too hard for any of the starches to be accessible.

I have no idea what the effect would be once cooked, but I bet it would be tough to sparge :)

remember it is minute rice. so I would think it will soften quickly like white minute rice. I just don't know if the starches will convert to sugar.

Pretty much any kind of starch will convert to sugar as long as you meet two basic requirements:

- There have to be enzymes to do the conversion (usually achieved by mixing 2-row base malt with whatever other source of starch you want to mash)

- The starch has to be accessible to the enzymes (usually achieved by grinding up the barley, but for harder and non-malted grains will require cooking)

So as long as you have a decent amount of base malt, and as long as you cook it enough to make the starches soluble, you should be fine.

Any minute rice will work just fine.

I doubt vey much the slight tinge of brown in the brown minute rice will translate to a darker SRM...especially if you're using like 1 pound per 5-gallon batch.

One pound is exactly what I am going to use. Hey what is the worst that can happen. I think I will go for it.

Thanks for the input!

Back