Dull ugly kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chupidacabra

Reaction score
Recently received an about 10 year old, used daily, industrial 15 gallon kettle. Doesn't sound to glamorous, but it was free from my job and is a huge upgrade in amount of boilable wort. I have scrubbed and scoured it and heat cleaned it then sanitized it. It works great, doesn't have any dents and is heavy duty. It's just ugly as all get out. Is there a way to make this shiny again? I don't want to experiment with any chemicals in fear that I could contaminate the kettle or make it worse. Any helpful tips? Or should I just be happy with my kettle and focus on the beer?

Stainless. Sorry I'm a few beers in. In hindsight That's a pretty obvious thing to mention.

I will eventually. Might post a before tomorrow but sadly the after will have to be a while. I'm about to move.

Not a good picture but the only one on my phone currently. And that free kettle got bribed with a half batch of homebrew. I guess it pays to have some friends in the kitchen industry. Kitchen style dishwashers are amazing also. Not to mention premixed sani solution for rinsing. Plus great discounts on therms and other instruments and equipment.

The perspective on this pic makes it look oddly small. Small burner and large person I guess.

image-1056474164.jpg

looks like your standard pro kitchen stock pot, very nice find. does it have a ball valve? pretty cheap add on if it doesn't and you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

My pots came out of a scrap yard and had paint on them, once the paint was off they looked very dull like yours. I used Bar Keepers friend and a green 3M scrubby pad and made sure I scrubbed in one direction with a thick paste of BKF.

They turned out nice and shiny with minimal work.

eastoak said:
looks like your standard pro kitchen stock pot, very nice find. does it have a ball valve? pretty cheap add on if it doesn't and you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

No ball valve, been thinking about it though. Any good sites for quality parts?

eastoak said:

Damnit eastoak now iv gone and spent another hundred dollars on a sight glass setup and a ball valve from that site.

Really, though, thanks for the tip. Will make my brew day that much easier and more accurate.

Back