Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D3ling

Reaction score
Is it too much of a pain in the arse to scale a 5g batch to 10 bbl batch based on an extract recipe?

Just currious.

I don't understand what you're asking. The scaling is easy, just multiply everything by 63. Now actually brewing a 10 bbl batch...

Yeah I think scaling down is harder than scaling up. As stated above scaling up just multiply your ingredients. Scaling down generally leads to poor conversion of weights. Wind up with things like .625 pounds of this and .375 pounds of that. Etc etc. also have to agree the recipe is easier to make than the volume of beer you plan to end up with.

Sorry,
I have a recipe that requires 7lbs of LME based on 5g. In order to convert that to 10 bbl I would need 602 lbs of lme??? 43g in bbl x 10 = 430g= 86 5g batches x 7lb per 5g... This seems kind of ridiculous don't you think?
Or am I thinking about this entirely wrong? Obviously this is why breweries do allgrain batches I guess.

Could you explain why on earth you would even consider doing 10 bbl extract batch? Is this just a thought experiment?

Your assumptions are correct. The cost of this (and quality control) is the reason why commercial breweries use all-grain.

How about I just come brew all grain for you? You can just pay me with the savings of using grains vs. LME.

Sorry, I had to. But yes your math looks correct. That's why the only brewpubs that use extract are the ones who get that wort in a bucket stuff. Mostly chains, for them its closer to cost because they don't have to do anything except ferment.

Sorry,
I have a recipe that requires 7lbs of LME based on 5g. In order to convert that to 10 bbl I would need 602 lbs of lme??? 43g in bbl x 10 = 430g= 86 5g batches x 7lb per 5g... This seems kind of ridiculous don't you think?
Or am I thinking about this entirely wrong? Obviously this is why breweries do allgrain batches I guess.

I was going with US bbl = 31.5 gal, or 63 x 5 gal batches. So 441 lb LME, still in ridiculous range. Why are we doing this again?

Sorry, not a home brewing system... I wish. 1: I wish I had the money for it, 2: I wish I had the space for it and 3: I wish I could re-enact that scene from "Strange Brew" where they drink their way out of drowning in beer.
THAT said, I am contemplating entering an extract brew in a homebrew comp where the winner scales up the recipe for a 10bbl batch. Seems too unrealistic to enter an extract brew as I think about it more.
Agree? Disagree?
D3

Extract brews have won competitions before. There are formulas for replacing ectracts with grains. I'm into partial mash atm,& think maybe that would make it easier for them to replicate. But it can still be done with extracts to a point.

Ah, now the question makes more sense. So I take it a brewery is sponsoring and will brew a batch of your beer if you win? Go for it, I'm sure they would just convert any extract and partial mash recipes to all grain.
:mug:

Back