Irish Cream Ale approach...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmojo

Reaction score
Any suggestions for a partial mash bottled Irish Cream Ale for a guy who's a little out of practice?

I've been researching how to do an Irish Cream Ale, like Kilkenny's...it's been like four years since I last brewed. I don't have the space for an all-grain version. Nor do I have the equipment to nitrogenate right now.

So am I out of luck? I'm essentially making an Irish Red, and pulling over elements from a cream ale, or perhaps vice versa. I figured I could get an Irish Red Extract Kit and pull over some grains for a Boddingtons type ale. Or get a cream ale extract recipe and add some grains for color.

I did the same search a while back, Kilkenny is hard to come by in Orlando and the only place to find it in in Disney and is outrageously priced. As for a recipe I stopped looking once I realized that I wouldn't be able to reproduce the head without the ability to nitrogenate the beer (Kilkenny just wouldn't be the same). I would think a cream ale extract would be the best place to start and depending on the recipe add some lighter crystal malts and possible something to help with head retention. But it's been a while since I've had one.

Latest posts

Back