Partial Mash Partial Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosch

Reaction score
So I picked up a couple of partial mash kits (NB Speckled Heifer, AHS Oatmeal Stout). I've only been doing partial boil extract kits. I can't do full boil, and honestly don't want to try messing with splitting the batch or anything just yet.

Am I going to be okay doing these as a partial boil? Or did I just get myself into something that I didn't want to yet?

Appreciate any input! Thanks!

Kosch

I'm about ready to try some PM's myself. I tend to think,from what I've learned so far,that it would be ok. Just boil as much as you can. Mash with some 1-1.5Qt of water per pound of grain at,say,150 to 155. Sparge with 170F water,say a tea kettle worth (I've seen a few guys do this). Have water boiling in another kettle to bring the wort in the 1st kettle up to 3 gallons if you have a 5G BK. You'll need some space for the hot break,& 2G worth isn't much.
But enough if you stay right there & stir it down till it stops,about three minutes. Then proceed as usual. That's my current plan of attack for PM.

The purpose of a mash is to activate enzymes in the grains that convert long-chain dextrines and other unfermentable compounds into fermentable sugars. A partial mash is a bit of a misnomer because, just like a regular mash, that is its purpose and what it does, in fact, do. The only way a partial mash is different from a regular mash, is that additional fermentable sugars are added -- in the form of extract -- after the mash has completed.

The volume of water you use for your mash will affect the final product. It has MUCH less effect, though, than many other variables: temperature and grain weight, in particular.

In your case, a partial boil will result in a "thicker" partial mash. That's desirable for some styles, and undesirable for others. It is, however, not going to impart obvious changes in flavor/mouthfeel.

In other words: you're fine.

That thickness isn't going to matter when it's strained into the fermenter after chilling,& topped off per recipe. It's the same,to my thinking,as topping off an extract partial boil. Except,in this case,you made the "extract" so to say. That's why I feel it'll be fine. So the weight of grain,plus a couple others,will determine the OG of the final recipe amount. The rest of the recipe would be tailored to what the grains would contribute.

Yep. No problem at all. Almost all my beers are partial mash partial boil. As Unionrdr said - mash with 1-1.5qts/lb of grain. Then you can sparge with whatever amount of water will bring you to your max boil capacity.

For instance, if you have 4 lbs of grain, you could mash in 5 qts of water (1.25qt/lb thickness). Then if your max boil capacity is say 3 gallons, sparge with around 2 gallons.

That'll give you around 1 gallon from the mash (you lose around 0.1 gal per lb of grain to grain absorption) and 2 gallons from the sparge. Add extract and boil as usual. At the end top off to your final volume.

I figured I had that much right. Didn't seem too hard to absorb for me. I was thinking it to be a good way to replace the 3lbs of plain DME I was using with the LME. Plus one could also adjust the bittering better this way. The rest of my recipes could remain about the same. More gravity perhaps,but a bit better flavor as well.

AWESOME! Thanks everyone, I don't think I've ever felt more reassured!

I'm really excited, my intent is to eventually work my way to all grain, so this is my way to feeling like I can make something a little more "pure" (I love to make stuff from scratch, and definitely not saying anything is wrong with extract only!).

I'm hoping after the first of the year we can get a gas stove installed with one of the "Power Burners" that will allow me to do full boils. Easy to justify that "equipment cost" :)

Kosch said:
So I picked up a couple of partial mash kits (NB Speckled Heifer, AHS Oatmeal Stout). I've only been doing partial boil extract kits.

Kosch

I did NB Speckled Heifer as my first PM a couple of months ago. I added 3lbs. of organic raspberries to the secondary for a week. I used White Labs Cream Ale yeast. Turned out great! It finishes crisp and clean. Great summertime brew. I will definitely be doing it again.

I don't know about the AHS kit but the directions that come with the Speckled Heifer is for a partial boil. I did mine full boil and tried the first one 2 days ago and another last night. That was at 2 weeks. I think they need a bit more bottle conditioning, but very good already.

I saved the thread where the member bought that 5 burner higher BTU stove for that very purpose. I guess we'll know who got there tax return 1st!!! ;)
**Here's the thread link; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/new-stove-276024/
And the pics; 30" Freestanding Gas Range with 5 Sealed Burners, Quick Boil Burner, Center Burner, 5.0 cu. ft. Oven Capacity, Even Bake Technology, Express-Select Controls and Storage Drawer

Alright, the race is on! I was searching around earlier, saw some varying comments about minimum BTU, seems like a lot of people were saying 30,000 btu is minimum for a full boil. All the stoves I saw seemed to max at around 15,000 BTU. But I figure if my crappy electric stovetop can get 3 gallons boiling in an hour, a 15k BTU should handle 7 gallons?

Jamison: that sounds awesome with the raspberries, I may have to plan for another one this summer with some!

kh54s10: You know, I wasn't sure about that, but since you mentioned it I re-read it, and yeah that makes sense. I haven't read the AHS instructions yet, but I was reading some partial mash recipes and a lot talked about full boil. Thanks for mentioning that, one more mark for my confidence!

Hoping to get one of these going this weekend, but not sure how that will go with all the turkey day planning.

Kosch said:
Alright, the race is on! I was searching around earlier, saw some varying comments about minimum BTU, seems like a lot of people were saying 30,000 btu is minimum for a full boil. All the stoves I saw seemed to max at around 15,000 BTU. But I figure if my crappy electric stovetop can get 3 gallons boiling in an hour, a 15k BTU should handle 7 gallons?

Yes, it will. There's a big difference between a stovetop and an outdoor propane burner. My old 18k stovetop had absolutely no problems with full boils.

Yes, it will. There's a big difference between a stovetop and an outdoor propane burner. My old 18k stovetop had absolutely no problems with full boils.

GREAT! Thanks for that, I was starting to worry. I don't really have a place to setup a turkey fryer outside that's easy to get too, nor would the weather be decent enough to do so for at least 5-6 months.

Cheers!

That's why I can't wait for tax time! Our electric stove that came with the house when we built it is on it's last legs. And since we have both hook ups...:rockin::ban:

That's why I can't wait for tax time! Our electric stove that came with the house when we built it is on it's last legs. And since we have both hook ups...:rockin::ban:

Oh yeah I hear that! Our stove is about 10 years old, still looks new, but having to replace all the elements gets expensive. I think it was going to be around $100, might as well put that towards a new stove! Heres to tax return season! :mug:

Back