oh no i did it again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanglewood16137

Reaction score
i brewed for fist time in 10 years
i made up the recipe off top of head

steeped 1 lb of crystal malt ans a 1/3rd cup each of chocolate and roasted barley
for 20 mins at 155 then added 5.5 lbs of breiss not sure if its brewers gold or amber big bucket is marked both. and 1 oz of nugget hops and some malto dextrine boiled for 60 mins and off to ferment.

Rod

welcome back Twood.

I too just opened my first batch in 10 years or more. I also just put my second into primary! woohoo. I already have my 3rd batch (Pliny the Elder clone) ready to brew.

There is sooooooo much more information and equipment available today than there was back in the early 90s.

Well i may have done something right the airlock is bouncing. I guess in a few weeks i will know if i am a hero or a zero i will start a batch of oatmeal stout soon so as to have for CHRISTMAS not winter break or leave or what ever.LOL I may try a lager since i have perfect lager water out of tap i have to harden for ales my un altered ph is 5.6

Rod

congrats. Best get working on that lager ASAP if you want it done by Christmas. My tap ph is over 8 so I'll need to use my RO filter for any lagers I do.

Well first one is bubbling away and i have water preboiled and hardened for next batch maybe tomorrow night a oatmeal stout will be born. then i will try a lager when i get some lighter extract i should try to maly some barley i have in grainery 3 feed sacks of barley i harvested off a field i planted used rest for feed for cattle.
saving rest for if i try to brew again. i can malt it and dry and toast with the free gas wouldn't be half bad and maybe it will be special if malt is that fresh. Might be worth a try.

Rod

well my wife has put in a new order for 2000 more cases for next few years.
it has turned out very good according to her. She is addictied to it that batch will not last long at 4 bottles a night. my biggest worry is not having same malt available to make more when this 5 gallon bucket is finished. it is very old briess amber from early 90's been opened since 96 and sat for 9 years till i brewed this batch. 8 years ago some guys from our old club brewed a fist place beer with some of it from a different bucket at the trash competion in pittsburgh PA. Malt was from what was the old meander brewing some of what was left after it went under not sure how we got it it was passed form one to another since others were all AG brewers they didn't want it so we ended up with it.

Back