ive got a sankey keg...now what???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan Lendl

Reaction score
someone gave me a 'coors' keg and i want to turn it into a kettle...is there a place i can take it (lhbs?) to get it done, or do i have to do it myself, and if so how do i cut the top off, where do i cut it, with what tool, how do you drill a whole to fit a spigot, etc, etc...also how many gallons can i brew with it? im guessing 10 gallon batches???

p.s. its the BIG one you would find at a frat party, i think 1/2 bbl...its got coors engraved on the side and has a killians irish red sticker on it, theres actually some beer still in it and when you push the ball-lock,rubber smelling c02 escapes...

Buy a weld-on spigot and take it to a welding shop that has a plasma torch and someone that knows how to use it. Have them cut the top out and weld the spigot in as low in the side as they can.

make sure you let all the pressure out first. and if you take it to a welding shop, have them fill it half way with water. it will ensure that the dripping slag cools before it hits the bottom of your keg, instead of sticking to it. with the one we just did, we used a hand grinder with a cutting disk on it. took about 10-15 minutes that way. a nice clean cut.

I cut the tops of out my kegs with an angle grinder. The first one took 20 minutes, but now I've got my technique down and can get it done in half that.

I drilled holes using a bimetal hole saw. I have done 3 holes and show no signs of wear.

subwyking said:
make sure you let all the pressure out first. and if you take it to a welding shop, have them fill it half way with water. it will ensure that the dripping slag cools before it hits the bottom of your keg, instead of sticking to it. with the one we just did, we used a hand grinder with a cutting disk on it. took about 10-15 minutes that way. a nice clean cut.
YES. Very good idea. I didn't do this when i removed my top, and there are little spots now where the hot metal hit the bottom and messed up the oxidation layer. My welds don't rust as I backed them, but the little spots sure do...I need to clean those up soon.

So you aren't making up anything on your profile about your location. Try to find a good welder out there, and be sure that he backpurges the keg as he welds it so that the stainless steel on the inside will be preserved!

i dunno this all sounds like a big pain in the *ss, i might just opt to spend 150 bucks on a kettle instead, this way i dont have to do nothin but sit back and wait for the shipment...(plus i really like having a lid...)

does the 'dude' have a surplus? im looking at the williams brewing catalogue and they have a 60 qt. for 150 bucks...if he can beat that then that would be cools...it doesnt say who makes 'em, but the specs are: 19in wide, 15 in tall, .05" walls, imported

thats the question really, i know i want one but they are sooo much more expensive...is it worth it to spend 250 bucks just for a spigot???

Ivan Lendl said:
thats the question really, i know i want one but they are sooo much more expensive...is it worth it to spend 250 bucks just for a spigot???

If you choose to go with a sabco kettle....are you willing to part with the other keg? Im in the market if a deal is at hand.....you're in Va Beach right?

vtfan99 said:
If you choose to go with a sabco kettle....are you willing to part with the other keg? Im in the market if a deal is at hand.....you're in Va Beach right?

im leaning toward not using the keg, my friend is willing to give it to me to use for brewing, otherwise he said he wants to keep it as a novelty, but im sure he would be willing to sell it...whats your offer? its in good condition, has a ball lock type tap system...what are you going to do with it?

tech fan are ya? did you here about the marcus vick plea agreement?

I would be cutting the top off...installing a spigot...using as a kettle. I have a source that is much closer than Va Beach that will part with an old one for 25 bucks....so....the extra gas to get to the beach.....not sure your friend would be interested. All I'd be willing to offer is 15 bucks....condition is of no concern to me (short of cracks). I intend no offense with my offer, so if your friend finds this offensive, I apologize.....just economics.:D

I haven't heard about the plea agreement.....and at this point...I dont even care. I say good riddance...a good talent, but he could never get his act together. We just need to move on...find someone who appreciates the position rather than viewing it as a "right". That said...I wish him the best of luck. He has too much talent to waste by being in continual trouble with the law. I seriously hope he can work through his problems and enjoy success at the next level.

ithink im gonna keep it...now im thinking its probably not that hard to convert it, and i know my friend has alot of tools, welding equipment, etcetera, id probably regret selling it, im just gonna have to research a little and give it a try.

if you can get one for 25 bucks thats still a good deal...

i think that marcus vick is a cockey bastard, hell never make it in the NFL, he's not even that good in college. if he was taller id say he should play basketball, the ultimate non-team team sport, but hes only like 6 feet...

Back