10 gal split in 5 gal fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erschwenk

Reaction score
I have brewed a half dozen 10 gallon all grain batches. They are brewed in a keggle, then split into two different fermenters. I have found when they are done the two taste totally different. One is really good and the other is blah... still drinkable but something just taste off.

Is this normal, or is something off? I was using one bucket fermenter and one glass carboy, then the glass broke and am now using buckets for both. I thought maybe it was the trub or hops sitting longer in the brew kettle, but it just dawned on me maybe one of my buckets is bad. Any thoughts?

Corona grain mill
Keggle and propane
Imersion chiller 50 ft
Batch sparge Igloo ice cube
replaced all tubing on last batch
same yeast and they ferment side by side in my basement.

You might be getting some stratification in your kettle as it cools. Try agitating the wort as you drain it into your fermenter schedule. Just stirring it should work.

Also make sure you are pitching enough yeast, and are watching both temperature and light oxidation.

You might be getting some stratification in your kettle as it cools. Try agitating the wort as you drain it into your fermenter schedule. Just stirring it should work.

Also make sure you are pitching enough yeast, and are watching both temperature and light oxidation.

Thanks for the replies.

Same yeast and I am pitching what should be enough according to Mr. Malty for the original gravity specified in the recipe. Hate to say it but hydrometer broke on second batch and I haven't replaced it. I have just been waiting between 3 and 4 weeks then kegging. I think I will try stirring, replace hydrometer and if I still have a problem replace buckets and lid.

It just seemed weird. one beer is pretty damn good the other is drinkable, but I am not proud of it. I have been drinking the so so beer and saving the other keg for wife and guests.

I've brewed porters, pale ale, winter ale, brown ale, and made up my own recipe with what's on hand. Dry yeast, liquid with and without a starter and gotten yeast from the local brewery. The two five gallon batches have never tasted remotely the same.

Question: if this has happened several times, have you taken note on which fermenter produces the bad beer? If it's the same one each time, it would be easier to tell if you needed to replace a bucket.

I also split my batches between two fermenters. I use buckets when I need a little more oxygen and carboys when I am trying to keep oxygen to a minimum. There are some slight temperature differences between glass and plastic but as long as both fermentors are in the same location the difference should be negligible.

I'm also interested in the off flavors you are getting. If they are consistent then there might be some bugs living in a scratch in the plastic or perhaps in the lid, something spoiling that half of the batch. I replace my bucket fermentors after 6 batches or so to be safe.

Good luck!

How do you transfer to fermenters? Do you aerate both batches after transfer? One might not be getting enough oxygen in the mix.

How do you transfer to fermenters? Do you aerate both batches after transfer? One might not be getting enough oxygen in the mix.

I had a similar occurance using two different brewing bucket and splitting my 10 gallons into 2 buckets. What I learned to do is use a plastic pitcher and pour 1/2 gallon of wort at a time alternating which bucket I poured it into. This and trying to get both buckets enriched with enough O2 has eliminated the taste difference. If you think it may be a difference in the plastic age of each bucket then I would suggest brewing an 8 gallon batch and splitting these between two brand new white food grade 5 gallon buckets to see the difference. I buy these at Walmart in the paint department for $3 each and they use the same lid as my 6.5 gallon fermentors but are much cheaper to use.

Back