Having A Brain Fart - Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to figure out the abv if I add 750ml Everclear(151 proof) to a 1gal mixture with a 1.110 gravity. TIA

It depends on what your final gravity is, but if you know that you can find the abv of your 1 gallon mixture.

From there, it's just:

(750 mL * (151 proof / 200 proof) + 1000 mL * ( ABV of mixture) ) / 1750 mL

I don't know the answer but I'm curious to know what kind of rocket fuel you're making!

If you're not fermenting the concoction any further, I believe the gravity 1.110 gravity doesn't matter. I messed around with some ratios to try and figure it out but my brain hurts now.

Edit: Beaten by Malfet by seconds.

MalFet said:
It depends on what your final gravity is, but if you know that you can find the abv of your 1 gallon mixture.

From there, it's just:

(750 mL * (151 proof / 200 proof) + 1000 mL * ( ABV of mixture) ) / 1750 mL

So to get the abv of my mixture just take a FG reading and do the usual math?

Fordzilla said:
I don't know the answer but I'm curious to know what kind of rocket fuel you're making!

If you're not fermenting the concoction any further, I believe the gravity 1.110 gravity doesn't matter. I messed around with some ratios to try and figure it out but my brain hurts now.

Edit: Beaten by Malfet by seconds.

Apple pie!!

KeyWestBrewing said:
I'm trying to figure out the abv if I add 750ml Everclear(151 proof) to a 1gal mixture with a 1.110 gravity. TIA

(volume of A x abv of A, plus vol of B x abv of B ) divided by total vol.

Your FG reading will be garbage. You'll have to assume an FG.

RedOktoberfest said:
(volume of A x abv of A, plus vol of B x abv of B ) divided by total vol.

Your FG reading will be garbage. You'll have to assume an FG.

The part where I'm getting confused is the 1.110 mixture has no abv since its just a mix of juice and sugar.

Total alcohol (vol) / total volume.

There's really no trick. Just figure outhouse 2 numbers, convert them to the same units, and do the division.

KeyWestBrewing said:
The part where I'm getting confused is the 1.110 mixture has no abv since its just a mix of juice and sugar.

So zero. Gravity doesn't matter, extra information ;)

.755 x .2gal = .151 (gallons of ethanol)
.151 / 1.2gal = 12.5% abv

No. I think I found the right formula...

(volume of liquor x alcohol by volume/total cocktail volume) x 100

If the formula and my math are correct it should make the new abv ~12.4%

I'm kinda asking a question here, but a gravity reading is getting the specific gravity, which is a weight relative to water? Meaning the reading of pure distilled water should be 1.0? So your juicy mix should read something. But you can't correlate that to ABV.

Right? Or is it Friday and my mind is zapped?

No. I think I found the right formula...

(volume of liquor x alcohol by volume/total cocktail volume) x 100

If the formula and my math are correct it should make the new abv ~12.4%

That's basically the same formula Red Oktoberfest and I both posted, but something's fishy in your math.

volume of liquor = 750mL
alcohol by volume = 75.5% (151 proof / 200 proof)
total cocktail volume = 1750 mL (1000mL juice + 750mL everclear)

750 mL * 75.5% abv / 1750mL = 32.4% alcohol by volume

The gravity of your juice is irrelevant if you're not fermenting it. For the purposes of alcohol content, it may as well be water.

Everclear = 95% ABV (makes up about 17% of the total fluid)

Other mix = 0% ABV (makes up for for the other 83% total fluid)

So in my mind
95% of the everclear is alcohol so call it 16% of the total fluid is alcohol.

Screw it i'm probably way off and now my brain hurts. Thanks a lot KeyWest!!

Bah.

I'm being dumb.

I misread and thought you were adding to 1 liter of juice, but you're actually adding to 1 gallon of juice.

Yeah, your numbers are right then.

volume of liquor = 750mL
volume of juice = 3785mL (1 gal)
total cocktail volume = 4535 mL (3785mL juice + 750mL everclear)

750 mL * 75.5% abv / 4535mL = 12.4% alcohol by volume

MalFet said:
That's basically the same formula Red Oktoberfest and I both posted, but something's fishy in your math.

volume of liquor = 750mL
total cocktail volume = 1750 mL (1000mL juice + 750mL everclear)

750 mL * 75.5% abv / 1750mL = 32.4% alcohol by volume

The gravity of your juice is irrelevant if you're not fermenting it. For the purposes of alcohol content, it may as well be water.

He has 1 gal of juice not 1L

Edit: I'm slow with the send button today

NickTheGreat said:
I'm kinda asking a question here, but a gravity reading is getting the specific gravity, which is a weight relative to water? Meaning the reading of pure distilled water should be 1.0? So your juicy mix should read something. But you can't correlate that to ABV.

Right? Or is it Friday and my mind is zapped?

SG is the density of your sample divided by the density of water. Distilled water has an SG of 1. Correct, there is no correlation to ABV. There is a lot of misunderstanding out there about the forces that drive SG readings.

I'm assuming that you will let the mix ferment and then add the Everclear. To determine the final ABV you will need to know the ABW of the fermented beverage and its specific gravity. You get the ABW from the balling formula - it's approximately 0.421*(Original_extract - True_extract). There is another formula for apparent extract but I don't remember the multiplier number - will look it up when I'm back home in a couple of days (it depends on OE). From the SG you obtain the density of the fermented 'beer' and, multiplying that by the volume give you its weight. Multiply that by ABW/100. That's the weight of the alcohol. Subtract that from the total to get the weight of the water. The Everclear is 151 proof (75.05% ABW) and so 750 mL contains 0.751*750 mL of ethanol with density 0.789 g/cc which gives the weight of alcohol in the Everclear. You will need to look up (OIML or AOAC tables) the density of a 151 proof solution of ethanol in water to calculate the total weight of the Everclear from which you subtract the weight of the alcohol to get the weight of the water. Now you have the total weight of the alcohol and the total weight of the water from both the Everclear and the fermented beer. From this you can calculate the ABW of the mix ignoring the residual extract of the beer. That's the best you can do as this is a ternary mixture. To get a correct answer you'd have to distill off the alcohol and measure it. Convert ABW to ABV by multiplying by 1.25.

I'm assuming that you will let the mix ferment and then add the Everclear. To determine the final ABV you will need to know the ABW of the fermented beverage and its specific gravity. You get the ABW from the balling formula - it's approximately 0.421*(Original_extract - True_extract). There is another formula for apparent extract but I don't remember the multiplier number - will look it up when I'm back home in a couple of days (it depends on OE). From the SG you obtain the density of the fermented 'beer' and, multiplying that by the volume give you its weight. Multiply that by ABW/100. That's the weight of the alcohol. Subtract that from the total to get the weight of the water. The Everclear is 151 proof (75.05% ABW) and so 750 mL contains 0.751*750 mL of ethanol with density 0.789 g/cc which gives the weight of alcohol in the Everclear. You will need to look up (OIML or AOAC tables) the density of a 151 proof solution of ethanol in water to calculate the total weight of the Everclear from which you subtract the weight of the alcohol to get the weight of the water. Now you have the total weight of the alcohol and the total weight of the water from both the Everclear and the fermented beer. From this you can calculate the ABW of the mix ignoring the residual extract of the beer. That's the best you can do as this is a ternary mixture. To get a correct answer you'd have to distill off the alcohol and measure it. Convert ABW to ABV by multiplying by 1.25.

I believe he is just making a mixed drink out of it. ie no fermentation. Just juice with booze dumped in.

mors said:
I believe he is just making a mixed drink out of it. ie no fermentation. Just juice with booze dumped in.

Correct. My girlfriends father makes his own apple pie with Everclear instead of shine but he didnt know how strong it was. So basically I was just seeing what the proof of the drink is. Tastes incredible.

That's a horse of a different color then. Add the Everclear to the mixture and measure the new volume. Of that 0.751*750 is ethanol. The ABV is just that amount divided by the new volume and converted to %. You can probably assume that the new volume is 1 gal + 750 mL (it will be somewhat less than that) and get an answer good enough for your purposes.

Back