Too late to dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terminum

Reaction score
So I had my first home brew in the fermenter and was called out of town for a business trip. During the time I was gone I was supposed to dry hop it, but now it's been over 3 weeks in the primary and I'm not sure if there is any point.

It's an IPA and the instructions said to transfer it to a secondary when the activity dies down (estimated as 1-2 weeks), then it said to add the dry hops and let it sit for another 2-4 weeks. Based on what I've read about dry hopping I'm not too worried about it, but it is an IPA. So should I dry hop it and let it sit in the primary for a bit longer, or just bottle it now and not worry about it?

Thanks

It's never too late to dry hop. Add them right in the primary and bottle a few days later.

I dry hop 1 t0 2 weeks before I bottle. I have an IPA going that has been in the fermenter for 4 weeks. It looks like it will be another 4 until I bottle it, so I'll be dry hopping in about 2 weeks time.

It is never too late.

Agreed! Dry hop it now. Let it sit for 4-7 days then bottle. I think dry hopping makes a huge difference in the overall impression with ipas these days. I can't really think of a time when it would be "too late to dry hop". Your nose with thank you!

1, 2, 3

1 week in the primary (for fermentation)
2 weeks in secondary (for clearing....or flavoring)
3 weeks in the bottle (for bottle conditioning/carbonation) ---- or just keg it & wait a couple of days.

Seems pretty flexible, so yeah, dry hop & leave it in for whatever it calls for. (I'm new here though so I'm learning too ;) )

Sorry for piggy backin....but What if I've alrwady dry hopped for 7 days and I'm not ready to package. Could I add another round of dry hops and package when that 7 days is up?

7 days is an estimate. Some like 3, some like 14. Package when it tastes good and you have the time.

Sorry for piggy backin....but What if I've alrwady dry hopped for 7 days and I'm not ready to package. Could I add another round of dry hops and package when that 7 days is up?

Yes, if you like Hop Rising!

$(KGrHqUOKicE2!L4k74CBNg+29eybQ~~_35.JPG

Or The Devistator!

wasatch-the-devastator.jpg

Back