Abbreviated crap!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenKnucklesBrewery

Reaction score
Be been apart of this forum for months now and for some reason can not pick up on everyones abbreviations.

Like...SWMBO

WTF does that mean?!?!?

If some one could help a guy out please do. Along with the other 1,000 abbreviations.....

In this case, Google is your friend. Like brewing, stupid internet acronyms are more interesting when you figure them out as you go. :)

Enjoy!

By the way, what does WTF mean? :cross::cross::cross::cross:

el_kirk said:
In this case, Google is your friend. Like brewing, stupid internet acronyms are more interesting when you figure them out as you go. :)

Enjoy!

Lol. Willing To Ferment? I have a 4 year old so I'm sure I'll pick up on a lot of these as he gets older. Thanks guys.

Be been apart of this forum for months now and for some reason can not pick up on everyones abbreviations.

Like...SWMBO

WTF does that mean?!?!?

If some one could help a guy out please do. Along with the other 1,000 abbreviations.....

I can't think of an abbreviation offhand that can't be clarified by applying "our friend Google." SWMBO as an acronym may have originated with HBT, but "She Who Must Be Obeyed" itself is the way Horace Rumpole, the barrister character of John Mortimer in his Rumpole of the Bailey series, refers to his wife Hilda. These stories are a fun read, and the BBC TV series wasn't bad.

I can't think of an abbreviation offhand that can't be clarified by applying "our friend Google." SWMBO as an acronym may have originated with HBT, but "She Who Must Be Obeyed" itself is the way Horace Rumpole, the barrister character of John Mortimer in his Rumpole of the Bailey series, refers to his wife Hilda. These stories are a fun read, and the BBC TV series wasn't bad.

But that's NOT where it originated.

The first use of swmbo was in the serialized novel "She" (who must be obeyed) by H. Rider Haggard published between October 1886 to January 1887....IIRC it is part of the Alan Quartermain novels...Remember the movie King Solomon's Mine

And the Sean Connery Character in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

51G1TFS54JL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

You can read the novel online it looks like...Bibliomania: Free Online Literature and Study Guides

And Ursula Andres made a damn fine looking one in the 1966 film version.

She_movie.jpg

ua012.jpg

And Scotland, you blew it....We DON'T tell folks right away on here. If a person can't bother to search out things like the acronym thread or the hundreds of other threads, then they get subject to "the game..."

Which you ruined.

Enjoy!

he can't google it, his knuckles are broken.

not sure how he posted this thread though... one of the world's great mysteries.

But that's NOT where it originated.

The first use of swmbo was in the serialized novel "She" (who must be obeyed) by H. Rider Haggard published between October 1886 to January 1887....IIRC it is part of the Alan Quartermain novels...Remember the movie King Solomon's Mine

And the Sean Connery Character in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

51G1TFS54JL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

You can read the novel online it looks like...Bibliomania: Free Online Literature and Study Guides

And Ursula Andres made a damn fine looking one in the 1966 film version.

She_movie.jpg

ua012.jpg

Tell me you weren't just looking for an opportunity to put pix of Ursula Undress in here.....

Sometimes just to feel manly again after using that acronym I have to rough my fiancee up a little. I also punch a wall.

And Scotland, you blew it....We DON'T tell folks right away on here. If a person can't bother to search out things like the acronym thread or the hundreds of other threads, then they get subject to "the game..."

Which you ruined.

FWIW IMHO WTF? agreed revvy.

Sometimes just to feel manly again after using that acronym I have to rough my fiancee up a little. I also punch a wall.
But Fiance is our friend!.....GOLLUM.

Which you ruined.

you made that waaaay too easy :cross:

Dammt scottland!

Stop Wasting My Best Opportunities!

Also, OP, they are acronyms, not abbrevs.

Remember when mods would police these threads and delete any posts that gave it away? Ah, the good ol' days.

google is your friend. also, SWMBO is pretty sad acronym. i always imagine sad little brow beaten men using it.

scottland said:
She who must be obeyed. Aka. Your significant other

I always thought it meant "she who must b$tch obsessively". I get to keep my man card that way.

I think I'm going to try bringing back GLW if it hadn't been resurrected already :)
And to be honest, the first time I googled SWIMBO I got a few of other things...
She who must brew obligatory was the first one lol

Also yes. My phone likes to add an I into it. I meant SWMBO

Lol, don't start me.

My predictive "helper" died a quick, hopefully painful death long ago. Effing craptastic piece of fish turds.

I would consider hurting the person that invented the predictive texting.

cheezydemon3 said:
Lol, don't start me.

My predictive "helper" died a quick, hopefully painful death long ago. Effing craptastic piece of fish turds.

I would consider hurting the person that invented it the predictive texting.

Lol, pretty much my thoughts, it helps me when I really can't spell the word, but with acronyms they need to stop trying to help..

Back