using refrigerator without temp control!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandobud16

Reaction score
Hey guys I just finished up a 10 gal batch of pale ale, and my landlord said that I could use his outdoor fridge for fermentation. I cleaned it out and took the shelves out. I also unplugged it to heat it up (it was 34F degrees in there). After the brew sesh, I put both fermeters in the fridge and set the fridge temperature almost to it's lowest setting. A couple of hours have passed, and I just went and checked the temp. It's about 58 degrees in the refrigerator. I have done some reading up on this and feel stupid about not having a temperature control device. Is there anyway that fermentation can be done in this fridge? It's getting too warm out here in Cali during the day, and I don't want estery beer! I'm using Wyeast 1056 in one fermenter, and 1084 in the other. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

a fridge works great for fermentation. however you'll need to override the thermostat with an external temp controller. Johnson analog is probably the least expensive $60-$70.

I used to do it without a temp controller but it requires constant monitoring. I found that is was very difficult to keep the temp up without turning the frig off most of the time. Turning the dial to 1 for an hour or two kept it around where I wanted it but it was hard to avoid large temp swings.

....EDIT: I was gonna tell you how to sort of wing it......on 2nd thought...

Temp controller $70.

Peace of mind - PRICELESS.

Back