Creme Decoca = Bottle Bomb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravisF

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

We bottled 5 gallons of porter on Sunday. I checked the bottle tonight and they are more pressurized then the past 3 brews we've done.

I'm worried that they are ticking bottle bombs.

I added the 5oz of corn sugar (dissolved in 1/2 cup water) like the directions called for.

Where I think I went wrong is adding 2tbs of Creme de Coca per 22 oz bottle.
OG was 1.058 and the FG (pre priming sugar and liquer) was 1.014
They PET bottles have been sitting at 68 degrees for 4 days.

I grabbed one tonight and gave it a squeeze and it was hard as a rock. So I double checked our other "archival" bottles of our other beers, and they aren't even close to as carbed (still have a little give when you squeeze them)

I'm not sure how to do the math to figure out if we're in trouble or not.

I cracked one open to see just how bad it was and it was very pressurized.

I had to slowly open it, and close it as it bubbled to the top, and repeat 5 times and it's still very bubbly.

I realize that CO2 will be absorbed more when the beer is cold, and these are at 68, but I suspect that's not my problem (at least not entirely)

Is there a way to tell if I've messed up badly enough to blow the bottles up?
Should I degass them?
Should I consider them bottle primed already and throw them in the fridge?

Thanks!

Travis

You may have bottle bombs on your hands. Liqueur is high in sugar content (high enough that some folks actually prime with it). Since you're using PET bottles, you can relieve the pressure without much risk. If the bottles are firm already, go ahead and vent the pressure and seal them up again. Repeat the procedure in a few days if you think you need to do so.

Back