Keg Cutting Q?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redcoat_or_rebel

Reaction score
The keg i will be using to make a keggle is about half full of old beer. I was watching Bobby's angle grinder cutting video and reading some threads about leaving some water in the keg to help deaden the noise while grinding.

should i just leave the beer in the keg and start cutting? or there is an ideal amount of liquid to have in there for this?

I usually fill kegs with 1-2 gallons of water before cutting the tops off.

Personally I would depressurized the keg, remove the spear, dump the beer, and then start grinding.

Removing the spear does not take too long, and will make dumping the beer easy. It sounds terrible smelling old beer for the 15 minutes it takes to cut a keg.

I would remove the spear, dump the beer, then fill to the top with water. This works best for minimizing noise.

I agree with dumping the beer and and adding about a gallon. As far as the noise goes I ended up wearing some ear protection like you'd use if you went shooting.

I wouldn't fill the keg up all the way just in case you accidentally dropped your cutting tool in.

All of the above, and wanted to add that you may want to let the pressure off with the keg on it's side pointed away from you. I have been blasted in the face and sprayed beer all over the place before.:cross:

thanks guys! it seems everyone is on the same page with this. i have both eye and ear protection.

not looking forward to smelling old rank Bud Ice.... and i definitely don't want to be sparyed in the face with it!

All of the above, and wanted to add that you may want to let the pressure off with the keg on it's side pointed away from you. I have been blasted in the face and sprayed beer all over the place before.:cross:

You weren't suppose to tell him that. It's part of the "learning" process when you cut your first keg. Lol although I still forget every now and then but am quickly reminded

You weren't suppose to tell him that. It's part of the "learning" process when you cut your first keg. Lol although I still forget every now and then but am quickly reminded

haha how could you forget a face full of nasty beer?!

is it best to add spicket and thermostat and/or sight glass before using it or can they be added whenever?

you can add anything later... but..

i suggest a Ball valve and dip tube at the MINIMUM so you dont have to tip pour into your fermenter.

good luck

there's another reason to put water in the keg when cutting...
The hot slag is cooled before it hits the bottom

If I am using an angle grinder will I need cutting wheels or will I need grinding wheels as well? Can I just sand it with sand paper? Metal file? thanks again guys/gals :mug:

haha how could you forget a face full of nasty beer?!

is it best to add spicket and thermostat and/or sight glass before using it or can they be added whenever?

you can add later. I used mine for about a year without anything other than cutting the top off. I just used a racking cane to rack into the carboy. not perfict but it will work.

If I am using an angle grinder will I need cutting wheels or will I need grinding wheels as well? Can I just sand it with sand paper? Metal file? thanks again guys/gals :mug:

You will need one or 2 cutting wheels, a sanding disc (flap style 80 grit works well, and some emery cloth (sandpaper for metal) to do the final clean-up. If you put water in the keg it will keep the keg steady while cutting and prevent burn marks in the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
great, thanks for the quick responses.

i just scored a second keg off of craigslist for $20. next project ( i haven't even started this one!) - fermenter!

Latest posts

Back