Tactical Nuclear Penguin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never heard those three words used in the same sentence! I am intrigued, what is TNP?

I have never heard those three words used in the same sentence! I am intrigued, what is TNP?

Nothing too special.....just a 32% ABV beer :D

bottle.jpg

http://brewdog.com/tactical_nuclear_penguin.php

It was for a short stint the worlds most alcoholic beer. They use a technique called freeze distillation to freeze and separate the water from the alcohol. I had a chance to try it but turned it down because it was so freaking expensive.

oh nice. i had samples of that and sink the bismarck when brewdog did a pouring here in sf. if i recall, STB had the a bourbony liquor taste, while TNP was like a hoppy digestif sort of thing. i liked TNP better myself.

to me it's all a bit out there, but by the same token it's pretty interesting to have a taste of the outer limits of what folks are doing with beer. enjoy that bottle!

I work for a supermarket chain called Big Y. They also own a store called Table & Vine, which has a very impressive beer and wine selection (they are highly regarded for wine). They were able to get a few bottles of Penguin and Sink the Bismark ($109.99).

http://www.tableandvine.com/

I picked up one of these recently for $75 as did a friend. He wants to try it now so I'm going to go halves with him, and then cellar mine for a few. Mmm...can't wait.

Was at my local bottle shop inquiring about some DF Burton and just asked the guys if they had the TNP...they did along with the STB - another patron overheard me and bought one! Said the same thing..."if you ever just want to spend 'stupid money' you have to get the STB one time". I could think of so many other great beers worth buying or a new piece of brewing equipment!

A liquor store here in Alberta tried importing that brew into the province. It actually caused the province to ban beer above 11.9% for a few weeks, then when the ban was lifted, there was large taxes put in place on high alcohol beers.

Tis a shame. I'd like to try it out, but not sure if I am willing to drop $90 to pick up a bottle. As BrewFrisco mentioned, many other great beers, plus, I could pick up a couple corny's for that price... :)

Whatever floats your boat. But it sounds like a way overpriced ersatz eisbock. I would rather just buy some really good booze and mix to taste. :confused:

Some friends and I shared a bottle of this at a party earlier in the year, I'd say it's worth buying a bottle to share with some friends but it would be hard to drink one by yourself.... My memory is of a lot of malt and alcohol and not a lot else.

Wow, that's a lot more expensive than I would have thought. I was under the impression that it would maybe be around $50, but $83? Wow!

A liquor store here in Alberta tried importing that brew into the province. It actually caused the province to ban beer above 11.9% for a few weeks, then when the ban was lifted, there was large taxes put in place on high alcohol beers.

Tis a shame. I'd like to try it out, but not sure if I am willing to drop $90 to pick up a bottle. As BrewFrisco mentioned, many other great beers, plus, I could pick up a couple corny's for that price... :)

Ah, the Canadian way. Anything different is to be feared and (more importantly) heavily taxed.

I would have thought Alberta would have the best shot at a common-sense approach--guess not.

Yeah it's pricey, there's no denying that, but splitting it with a good friend and trying it together over the holidays makes it more of an event, worth the one time shot of $45 bucks a piece in my eyes. Something I'm sure I won't do again.

Back