Gingerbread Kvass With Pictures!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrewtastic

Reaction score
With the lack of a LHBS store I find myself not being able to ferment things as often as I like. And the other day I came across a thread on Kvass and that sparked my interest. So I decided to "brew" some.

First I made some gingerbread. It's actually an amish white bread recipe that I added molasses, Cinnamon, ginger and allspice to. It turned out pretty damn good.

photo-1.jpg

It was so good in fact my SWMBO made me keep one for the family.

I then cut it up and dried it out in the oven for about an hour at 200.

photo1.jpg

I then put it in my brew kettle and boiled it with some fig preserves I had on hand (all natural. nothing to hurt the yeasties.)

photo3.jpg

So then I let it sit over night (yeah I know gross but that's what it says to do). It ended up looking like goo.

photo2.jpg

So I strained it and put it in my fermenter with a starter of WLP500. I did some reading on the Mad Fermentationist and he actually malted grains. But alas I have no LHBS and no grains on hand. However I did have a few bottles of Malta Goya. Which is carbonated unfermented wort (2row, Crystal Malt and hops). So I figured why the hell not?

It's fermenting right now. Hope it turns out well!

Very interested in how this turns out. MF has really tipped off a new trend, methinks. Or at least resparked one.

SWMBO had begun milling her own flour (in our Blendtec blender) and making bread. I'm tempted to get her to make a few loaves for some kvass.

So I ignored this for too long. And the kvass being as low alcohol as it is ended up getting infected. So yeah... I suck.

However I did save a loaf of the bread and made some awesome peach bread pudding out of it.

Latest posts

Back