Hibiscus Belgian Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jds

Reaction score
I wanted to make something with nice wit/belgian character, but different. As it turns out, Lemon Zinger tea has a fair bit of hibiscus in it, along with the lemon and tea. So here it is:
Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - [url]http://www.beersmith.com[/url]
Recipe: Belgian Redhead
Brewer: Joe S
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Blonde Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.50 gal      
Boil Size: 8.87 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
8 lbs         Colorado Malting 2-Row Pale Malt (3.0 SRM)Grain        80.00 %       
1 lbs         Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)              Grain        10.00 %       
1 lbs         White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)                Grain        10.00 %       
1.75 oz       Tettnang [4.20 %]  (60 min)               Hops         22.4 IBU      
1.00 items    Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)          Misc                       
1.40 tbsp     PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min)         Misc                       
6.00 items    Lemon Zinger Tea (Boil 5.0 min)           Misc                       
10.50 gal     Denver, Colorado                          Water                      
1 Pkgs        Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) [StarYeast-Wheat                

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 12.00 qt of water at 160.6 F    150.0 F       

Notes:
------
Note the batch size. This recipe has an extra gallon on it to make extra wort to be frozen for starters. Target 5.5 gal into fermenter.
Per JAmil's calculator, this needs 205 ml of thin yeast slurry for adequate pitch rate.
app1721511253846887.jpg

I brewed this in June, but due to travel, haven't been cutting into the pipeline much, so I didn't tap the keg until this evening. It has a nice, zingy wit character to it, but the tea adds a nice floral note that's less citrusy than a typical wit. If an Arnold Palmer were beer, it might taste something like this.

I may have to wrangle a bottle for ollllo or Wayne1 or one of the other guys currently here in Denver for GABF. Denver-area tasters? I like this beer, but I'd like to get some feedback on it.

View attachment Belgian_redhead.bsm

Ahoy hoy,
My blonde hibiscus is blood red. I put hibiscus flowers in it, 2 oz @ 15, then 2 more dry hop. My wife thinks its the bomb. It reminds her of rosie hibiscus from canada.
You can get real hibiscus from Egypt, at your local oraganic goodie store.
I bought 2 pounds of it for about 30 bucks.
FYI
A great day to you

Thanks for the tip, Medo. I may go full-tilt with the hibiscus the next time I brew this beer.

I have grown up on a Mexican hibiscus "tea"(served ice cold) called Jamaica. I was just thinking about how to make a brew with it and i came across your thread, Thank you for the great idea! I think the flavor would go great in a Belgian Wit. i have seen that most recipes call for "bitter orange" peel, and since hibiscus flowers are on the bitter side, it should be an easy swap. My only question is if i should still use some of the spices like coriander seed and grains of paradise to keep a slightly citrus spice to it?

Also you might want to check some Mexican markets for the hibiscus, its dirt cheap there.
445px-Flor_de_Jamaica.JPG

I have grown up on a Mexican hibiscus "tea"(served ice cold) called Jamaica. I was just thinking about how to make a brew with it and i came across your thread, Thank you for the great idea! I think the flavor would go great in a Belgian Wit. i have seen that most recipes call for "bitter orange" peel, and since hibiscus flowers are on the bitter side, it should be an easy swap. My only question is if i should still use some of the spices like coriander seed and grains of paradise to keep a slightly citrus spice to it?

Also you might want to check some Mexican markets for the hibiscus, its dirt cheap there.
445px-Flor_de_Jamaica.JPG

Sounds delicious! That's one of the best things about brewing - you can do anything you want. I'll check the local Avanza for hibiscus the next time I brew this.

Bah, I added hibiscus to a wheat braggot and the damn thing turned out tasting like a wine cooler, but a little too bitter.

I'm thinking with hibiscus you need to use a lot, and you need to have a beer thats got a little sweetness. I've heard of a good comercial Saison with hibiscus, but I've never personally had it.

I am brewing a hibiscus beer today - sort of a mix between a wit and hefe, but fermented with us-05 for a clean profile. Though I may ferment a gallon or so with some hefe slurry just to see how it comes out. Only a 3 gallon batch.

60% Pilsner
35% Wheat
5% Crystal 10L

O.G of 1.048, mashed at 156 // 18 IBU// hibiscus and sweet clementine peel added at 10 min and flameout.

i just made a belgian blonde that i was planning on adding honey and hibiscus to. just checked the gravity and did a taste after a week. i think it's too sweet for the honey (used sweet orange peel, likely too much), but still want to do the hibiscus as a dry hop.

is there any preparation that i should do to keep from an infection happening? i'm thinking of using hibisus flowers, but i'm also thinking of going the lemon zinger tea route. making a batch of the tea and then adding it to the batch.

After aging, I found the tea lent too much tannin to the beer. it was too astringent. I drank it all anyhow, but next time, I'd go with real hibiscus, and not lemon or red zinger.

Our session beer, this is brewed to a
different recipe every zodiac sign
(sometimes twice a sign)
usually around 4.8%abv

I am brewing a hibiscus beer today - sort of a mix between a wit and hefe, but fermented with us-05 for a clean profile. Though I may ferment a gallon or so with some hefe slurry just to see how it comes out. Only a 3 gallon batch.

60% Pilsner
35% Wheat
5% Crystal 10L

O.G of 1.048, mashed at 156 // 18 IBU// hibiscus and sweet clementine peel added at 10 min and flameout.

How did it turned out?
Did the hibiscus brought a bit of sourness to the beer? Would you say it fit a wit better?

Back