Brewhouse kit Mexican cervesca -Adding a lime flavour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beiner

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im new to brewing and have been using the Brewhouse kits thus far with great sucess. I am at the point in which I would like to start putting my own watermark on the kits and the idea I had was to add a like flavour to the mexican cervesca kit.

Now Im using only a primary fermenter. It is 48 litres and seems to do an awesome job. My fermenting period seems a little shorter aswell ( about 7-10 days on average)

I've done a fair bit of reading and think that adding a home made lime extract either to the primary right before bottling or to each individual bottle is probably the most efficent way to add a subtle taste of lime to my beer.

My question is:

How can I calculate how much sugar my extract will be adding. I do not what beer champagne when I open my beer on drinking day.

And if anyone else has any useful hints or tips that would be fantastic.

I would be VERY cautious as i think lime can be easily over done in the finished product. I'm sure most people will tell you to drink your beer and have a lime wedge with it! but if lime in beer is what you want, then i recommend adding the lime extract (sugarless would be best) at bottling to taste.

if you use sugar less it will not restart the fermentation which is where you carbonation comes from. I would also be careful with the lime extracts you use. Some have preservatives which could kill the yeast and cause your beer not to carbonate at all.

I was thinking about making my own extract via a lime peel immersion in vodka ( I have the recipee at home, at work currently) So that should take out a lot of the additives.

There are a few threads on here about using lime, they are usually short lived, because I think other than me, there has only been a hand full who have actually done it. There's a couple threads below in the "similar threads" box. including it looks like one recipe .

I've posted mine a few times. Here's the link to my recipe.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/854185-post9.html

And that is from this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/lime-beer-what-use-80610/#post854185

Which if I recall was mostly conjecture (not many people who actually brewed with lime) a handful of bud bashers, and a couple of us who have had experience. But some decent info.

I was thinking about making my own extract via a lime peel immersion in vodka ( I have the recipee at home, at work currently) So that should take out a lot of the additives.

I'd be interested to hear how this works out. I am toying with the idea of infusing some peels into a "candi syrup" made by boiling lactose and water and steeping the peels in that. I'm thinking that since lactose is a non-fermentable sugar then it might make for a sweeter lime flavor.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Pure-Key-Lime-Extract-110089

this is the lime flavour recipee i will be using.

They way I think im going to go about it is to take a glass of my fermented wort, add drops of the lime untill I find a flavour I like and add a teaspoon of dextrose. I know that the lime will have sugar within it, so the suger im adding is totally a guesstimate ( I added 2 teaspoons previously and it was dead on, so Im saying the fruit = 1 the dextrose = 1)

Back