Getting Confused

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TREMBLE

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am really starting to get a bit confused and hope you can help me out a little.

First off I am based in Scotland (from Ireland) and have recently started brewing(4 kits so far.) However what kit means to me does not seem to apply to Americans. The kits I have been using are a single tin of gloop, you add 6 pints boiling water and 1kg of brewing sugar then top up to 23 litres and sprinkle on yeast. An example of these kits is www.coopers.com.au/homebrew/hbrew.php?pid=1&id=116 so far these have turned out pretty well but I really want to try making my own receipes.

I have heard of partial mashing all grain etc but am a little confused as to what to do next. I have read palmers guide and the extract kit he does in the getting started section seems like where I should be heading, however no where over here seems to sell ingrediant kits the way most American homebrew shops do (I looked at a few American shops)

Anyone know why I cant find ingrediant kits already packaged in the UK? I would like to try a few like that to get used to boiling ingrediants before I start trying to buy bulk packs and making my own receipes.

Thanks for any help, TREMBLE.

Typically, the next step from what you've been doing would be steeping specialty grains along with the extract. If there is homebrew store in your area try talking to them about putting a recipe together. I've gotten the impression that the homebrewing industry in the UK is on the decline, so you may be stuck with the tins.

Start by doing a few batches with added specialty grains, so that you get used to doing grains. Then, jump full-***** into all grain - no need for partial mash.

Start by getting a kit that contains specialty, steeping grains. Crush the grains and put them in a grain bag. Then, put this bag into your cold water and let it steep until the temp hits 150 degrees. Then, take out the grain, pour in your extract and brew on.

Another step to take now is to choose non-hopped kits, so that you get used to adding hops at different times in the boil.

There are a lot of kits out there that fit my recommendations above.

Just my .02

I'm starting to think kits are a little overrated, there's no reason why you can't read a recipe you want to try and buy the ingredients a la carte rather than in a prepackaged kit. The kits just seem to be about having the right quantity of ingredients measured out, but, at least in the US, you can buy your ingredients at just about whatever quantity you want.

It might be more expensive to buy open stock, but the results might be better as you can tailor your beer a little bit more.

I dont have a LHBS unfortunately, they really are not to common over here. I have got all my stuff online so far.

With everything I have been doing so far I have NO boiling involved, other than adding boiling water to the cans contents in the fermentor. I really like hoppy pale ales so had thought a good next step would be to try Palmers receipe from his guide but looking for the ingredients has not been easy, especially when I dont really know what I am doing. :(

Do you guys not use the canned kits much? As you dont need to boil ingredients you dont need anything other than a fermintation bin to get started. Now that I want to progress a bit I am feeling a little unsure of how to progress, looking at your sites such as MoreBeer makes me wonder why the hell we dont have people selling like this over here, these are exactly the types of kits I am after.

Sorry I can't help, but just wanted to comment that it's surprising to hear homebrewing isn't very popular in the UK. I wonder why...?

valhallan said:
Sorry I can't help, but just wanted to comment that it's surprising to hear homebrewing isn't very popular in the UK. I wonder why...?

... because there is a pub on every corner that serves excellent beer?

:)

Just a quick search and I found these sites, they do have specialty grains that you could order separately. However! I just spoke to Beer Beer and More Beer here in California. They have a great website and DO ship internationally! I didn't think they would but I was wrong. Now, I would question if the yeast would make the trip, so you may have to find your own yeast over there, and not bread yeast. Probably one of the sites below. But, learn haw to do a starter and check out if the yeast survive the trip. Hope that helps!

Oh ya!......UP MAYO! :mug:

http://www.art-of-brewing.co.uk/
http://www.hopshopuk.com/index.php
http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/home.htm

you might try someplace like http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/

I did a google search and found a couple places like that, and they seem to have crushed grains, hops and extract. You should be able to order the ingredients separately and make your own recipes.

That's about all the help I can be from the other side of the pond. I do wish you well though... and I envy you. The cask conditioned ales I had in London last Christmas still have me drooling.

smg8041 said:

:off: I live right up the road from that HBS, been perfect for my supplies and the owners practically gave me a crash course in brewing when I first stepped into the shop out of curiosity, and have been hooked ever since :)

Back on topic, I'm another Brit finding it hard to move away from the kits, because I'm sliiightly confused about the whole moving up to more complex brewing methods. Investing in a brewpot would be a good first step... tehe :)
And as for homebrewing drying up in the UK... possibly true... although all the friends who have tried my homebrew havn't turned their nose up at it for the commercial stuff. I think its my special ingredient... Love :) *awwww*

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I found this at thehopshop it looks like exactly what I am after!
http://www.hopshopuk.com/cgi-bin/browse-no-frames.cgi?view=group&group=craftsman

The range is not great but I really would like to have a go with a set of ingrediants I know are correct before I start experimenting. Apart from not knowing what I am doing the whole US-UK gallons and Imperial-Metric conversions has left me more than a little confused when it comes to trying to figure out what I would need!

If I was to go with one of these kits would I be able to use this item to boil it do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....50035012695&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

I like the idea of using a boiler like this as if I continue on to mini-mash/AG I think I could continue to use it and I would struggle to boil large quantities in my small kitchen.

Cheers everyone!

If you are looking to go with extract with specialty grains , then I would recommend going with a online-US kit. If you look on the web sites you can pick a kit that is already together for you. All you really have to do is bring the water- about five gallons. If you have a pot that can boil two gallons it would do great.The kits come with grains, malt extract(dry or liquid), hops, and yeast. Most even have the directions to follow. I think you will find that the quality of beer you make will be substantially better. Of course the cost will be a little higher because of the shipping. Enjoy!

:mug:

If I was to import a kit or 2 from Northern Brewer or another US shop (waiting till I see shippping costs!) Is there anything in the kits that will not last long? If I was to pay to ship some over it would make more sense to buy a few at once rather than just 1 or 2 to try them out.

I know you guys use liquid yeast quite a bit (never even seen it on sale over here) and if that was in a kit it would not last but what about the other components?

I live right next the More Beer store in California, so I get all my stuff from them. It's pretty fresh stuff. I would imagine that if you were to purchase af ew kits from someone that it would all stay fresh as long as you refrigerate it when you get it. The extract kits I get have everything in airtight sealed bags. The hops are even in nitrogen filled silver packets to protect from light. I would also think the yeast would survive the trip as well(if packaged right). But if not go out and buy some from one of your venders(UK).
If you were so inclined you might want to look into opening your own store? Seems not too many of them over there. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back