My first Porter...Recipe sound good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moristron

Reaction score
I finally got my MaltMill and plan on celebrating by brewing a Brown Porter! I want to make it tomorrow evening, using the ingredients I have lying around.

Im still wondering if I should up the hop bill... As I never brewed a porter before, what do you guys think of this here?

Fermentables
3500gr DME
100gr Candy Sugar

Specialty Grains
500gr Cara-Kristal 120
250gr Chocolate Malt
250gr Gambrinus Honey
150gr Pale Ale Tipple Malt
150gr Oatmeal
150gr Briess Vienna Malt

Hops
21gr Northern Brewer @ 60
21gr Chinook @ 60
14gr Chinook @ 15
14gr Cascade @ flameout
14gr Chinook @ flameout

Yeast
Wyeast Irish Ale

Yeah, that's pretty much it... Though it's still not very warm over here, so the fruit esters will not be too obvious hopefully. I never really try to achieve 'perfect' styles. Just freestyling and make something unique. That said, is there anything that can 'balance' the easters that will occur?

oh, I didnt see that first time thru. I guess i am a irish yeast hater as I have a funky dry stout I wish would clean up it's very sour aftertaste. I dont know if it's due to the irish ale yeast, but I am going with that for now (better than putting the blame on me).

Robust, I guess...Is it that much? I'm a hop head, I usually have a slight higher hop bill for any style. Lets see how it works out, I might dare to lower these in the future :)

That Irish Yeast is a beast so far. Went berserk after only eight hours. Made a blow-off tube (first time I ever needed one) and lost about a liter of wort to it over the last day. It settled down now, and the smell is indeed a bit 'fruity'. I'll taste when done, and might do a secondary if too much ester to try and balance it all out...

What's the reasoning behind using candy sugar? I ask because I plan on doing a porter as my next one. I was heading for 3.5kg of DME and 500g of dextrose.
Also, what is your OG and estimated abv for this one? Will be interested to hear how it turns out

The candy sugar, coloring and maybe some slight flavor.

The og was 1076 and fg 1016.

It turned out really good. Def not too robust, but very balanced, with a hint of chocolate in the aftertaste. Me likey!

Latest posts

Back