Check my equipment list before I buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantonsoup

Reaction score
We're plastic-phobic in my house, so I'm planning on fermenting in glass. This is the equipment I'm thinking about buying. I foresee extract brewing only for awhile, I just know I'm not up for half/all-day brews being a dad of a 1 year old. Thinking about getting outdoor turkey fryer propane kit so I don't annoy wife with the mess, too.

8 gallon Stainless Pot (with drain valve if I find a good deal so I don't have to pour it, thinking about Bayou Classic)
Mesh grain bags
Fine-mesh hop bags
Floating thermometer for boils
25' copper wort chiller
Hydrometer
Strainer and funnel
6 gallon glass carboy (fermentor)
Stick-on thermometer for fermentor
carboy stopper with airlock
auto-siphon and tubing and siphon clip
5-6 gallon bottling bucket with spigot
Large spoon for stirring priming sugar
bottle filler and tubing
lots of dark glass bottles
Sanitation supplies (sanitizer, carboy washer, drying rack, bottle rack, big plastic tub to hold things, etc)

Look okay for a starter kit? Any advice or recommendations?

I'm not planning on using a secondary, I'll use Whirlfloc and give the wort a little extra time to settle in the glass before bottling.

Looks good. Since you are blowing your wad here ;), get a vinator and a bottle tree! Seriously! Also, what are your plans for fermentation temp control? Also, you may want to at least plan some kind of blow off tube for vigorous fermentations. Apart from the fermentation temp control, I'd also suggest planning on an erlenmeyer flask and possibly building a stir plate for starters.

8 gallon Stainless Pot (with drain valve if I find a good deal so I don't have to pour it, thinking about Bayou Classic)
Mesh grain bags
Fine-mesh hop bags
25' copper wort chiller
Hydrometer
Strainer and funnel
bottle filler and tubing
Sanitation supplies (sanitizer, carboy washer, drying rack, bottle rack, big plastic tub to hold things, etc)

Get a bigger kettle. If/when you want to go all-grain that 8g pot will be really pushing the limits. It's not much more for a 10g, although if you're really wanting to brew on stove-top, you likely can't boil in a 10g pot unless it straddles two burners.

Get a dial thermometer or a good pen thermometer. Nothing worse than a cheap floating thermometer, made of glass (easily broken) and very possibly not accurate.

The stick-on thermometers aren't great either, but it gives you a general idea, at least...I don't even look at mine anymore, but I've got a probe for temp control measuring my beer.

Get a 6.5g carboy if you can. For 5g batches it's a huge help to have the extra headspace. If you're plastic-phobic, replace the bottling bucket with a 5g carboy in case you ever want to secondary. You can bottle from an autosiphon...I do. Don't need a spigot.

For sanitizer, use Star San. It's easy, no-rinse, and hella effective. For cleaner, oxyclean free (I use generic) or PBW (better, but more expensive).

Get a Brew Hauler. Glass is scary, people go to the ER because of carboys.

I'd also get the 50' chiller or make your own from soft copper tubing for $45 at Home Depot. You'll be glad it takes far less time to chill because at that point you're over it and want brew-day to be over.

Add a bottle tree. They are super handy when you're bottling.

Look at a brew-hauler too. Better than a carboy handle IMHO.

suggest buying beer with pry off tops = most craft beers...drink beers save bottles and fill with your beers...drink beers and reuse bottles:tank:

+1 on brew-hauler, vinator and bottle tree

I started with using glass carboys but buckets are way easier to clean and transport.

Thank you all for the feedback, it's much appreciated.

Looks good. Since you are blowing your wad here ;)
I don't think it'll be all that much more than going super cheap, to be honest. I mean, yeah I'm buying a more expensive kettle, but I figure if I keep homebrewing I'll buy it later so I'm saving money not buying a cheap one now. As far as glass carboys go, if I'm replacing plastic every year I'll hit $40 in a few years there too. And a little money is worth a lot of convenience and peace of mind IMHO. :mug:

Also, what are your plans for fermentation temp control?
My basement is a solid 66°F regardless of the weather outside. I hadn't thought much of this yet.

you may want to at least plan some kind of blow off tube for vigorous fermentations
Good idea - I'll get an airlock that can be converted to a blow-off and some tubing just in case.

Get a bigger kettle.
I'll consider that, thanks. I really don't see myself doing all-grain but you never know. For $30 it might be worth the investment. But as J187 pointed out, I'm letting the cost go nuts as it is right now..

Get a dial thermometer or a good pen thermometer. Nothing worse than a cheap floating thermometer, made of glass (easily broken) and very possibly not accurate.
Thanks, didn't know that. My intro video used a floating one so that's what I thought was standard and accurate.

The stick-on thermometers aren't great either, but it gives you a general idea, at least...I don't even look at mine anymore, but I've got a probe for temp control measuring my beer.
How do you check the temp of the fermentor without introducing contamination? I've got an infrared thermometer but in a clear vessel I'm betting it won't be totally accurate either.

If you're plastic-phobic, replace the bottling bucket with a 5g carboy in case you ever want to secondary. You can bottle from an autosiphon...I do. Don't need a spigot.
Hmm. Seems complicated to keep a siphon and fill bottles at the same time. I'm not the most coordinated fellow. :D

Get a Brew Hauler. Glass is scary, people go to the ER because of carboys.
Didn't mention it, but I planned on it. And a milk crate and maybe a little furniture mover with casters to move it around if need be ($5 at Harbor Freight)

I'd also get the 50' chiller or make your own from soft copper tubing for $45 at Home Depot. You'll be glad it takes far less time to chill because at that point you're over it and want brew-day to be over.
Thanks, I'll check out the pricing at Home Depot for that. I assume get the biggest diameter copper tubing they've got.

I started with using glass carboys but buckets are way easier to clean and transport.
Ahh, my ever-present dilemma during my planning. We're those nutty people that believe the reports of leaching chemicals (although admittedly HDPE is the best, google "PET Leaching" for horror stories of why I'll never use a 'better bottle'). I figured maybe a bottling bucket was fine since the beer isn't it it long but for the long haul, glass to be safest.

You don't have to keep a siphon. Your bottling below the level of the siphon, so it will keep flowing every time you put the wand into a new bottle. It's literally no different than using the spigot except you might need to adjust the siphon when the bucket is nearly empty, but you shouldn't lose siphon during the process at all.

I use 3/8" OD copper, but 1/2" is definitely better (and more expensive by a good bit). Stirring and cold water going through it is the key though. I'm looking at a pond pump to submerge in a bucket of ice-water and running that through the chiller. I want quicker chills and lower chills than groundwater can provide in summer.

It's literally no different than using the spigot except you might need to adjust the siphon when the bucket is nearly empty, but you shouldn't lose siphon during the process at all.
Okay, thanks for that info. What do most people put the full carboys on to rack / fill bottles? Up onto a kitchen counter? Or are there other methods of raising them up a bit for siphoning?

For blow-off, don't connect tubing to the airlock, replace the airlock with tubing. With the glass carboy, you can either get the LARGE diameter tubing (rather stiff too) or get tubing that fits in the hole the airlock goes into. Get a bucket (1-2 gallon size) that you can half fill with sanitizer solution for the other end of the blowoff tube to go into. Keep that on the floor (you want to be sure none goes back into the carboy).

You can also get stoppers that have thermomwells in them. IMO, it's better to take the temperature in the middle of the batch, than the outside edge. Same as when you make a roast. Look at Amazon for thermometers with sensors that you can send down the thermowell.

Something else... Since you're anti-plastic (the PET carboys ARE 100% safe you know) you should start looking for used (decommissioned) 1/4 barrel sanke kegs to pick up. You can easily adapt those to ferment in. You can go as cheap as removing the valve/spear and pushing in a large universal bung/stopper (and airlock) to what I do (customized TC caps, gas fittings, etc.). You can also use the orange carboy caps on them and push the finished beer out with CO2. :rockin: Scrap yards would be a good starting place for them. Recycle centers too. See if you can find out where any local breweries send their decommissioned kegs to, and see about buying from them.

Extra bungs for the carboy, extra airlocks.
You will find that having a few extra of those will be handy and they are cheap.

Extra bungs for the carboy, extra airlocks.
You will find that having a few extra of those will be handy and they are cheap.

So very true... I make it a point to have extra's on hand for more than a few things. I'd rather have more than I'll need (or think I need) than need another one only to find I don't have any reserve.

I keep 'extra' hoses (different sizes and types), keg parts (poppets, gas and liquid posts), QD's (both beer and gas), ball valves, Oetiker clamps and many other fittings.

Figured i'd throw it out there since you're in "spending mode".

Kegging!! Bottling seems to be a rite of passage in intro homebrew discussions. But i never got why people arent pushed into kegging to start? (Startup cost- i suppose; or ability to walk way from the hobby without a kegerator to sell?)

Im a new all-grain brewer; after a handful of extract batches: and wishing i could have kegged from day one. Just talked the wife into a dual-tap kegerator, btw!!

Either way; seems like youll be well stocked.
-beermethatbeer

Something else... Since you're anti-plastic (the PET carboys ARE 100% safe you know)

+1
I work with chemical & material scientists & when I started getting into brewing I solicted their feedback. They actually know the folks who make Better Bottles & Vintage Shop PET carboys. They allayed my fears about leaching, off-gassing & duability so that's the way I went.
And I'm glad I did because I dropped a full one once & didn't get a 6" piece of glass embedded in my leg.

+1
I work with chemical & material scientists & when I started getting into brewing I solicted their feedback. They actually know the folks who make Better Bottles & Vintage Shop PET carboys. They allayed my fears about leaching, off-gassing & duability so that's the way I went.
And I'm glad I did because I dropped a full one once & didn't get a 6" piece of glass embedded in my leg.

I sold off all my glass carboys. I have a couple of PET ones (two 5 gallon and one 3 gallon) but I don't know when I'll use them. Having the adapted/converted kegs is just so much easier for me. Especially for the transfers. :D Plus, I can seal them up TIGHT so nothing gets in/out. I could even partially carbonate while a batch is still in one. Or ferment under pressure. Not something I'd risk doing with ANY carboy (or bucket).

BTW, really enjoy the two built in handles on the sanke kegs. :D Don't need additional hardware to carry it (like a carboy), or worry about the handle coming off the bucket (could happen, not saying it does [or] often, but it could). IF I drop one, chances are it will mark the floor, not break itself.

One of the most important tools I used when getting started is completely free: All of the knowledge resources around the internet.

How to Brew by John Palmer
http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html Online book with great info on many aspects of brewing.

BJCP Style Guidelines
http://www.bjcp.org/stylecenter.php Has very detailed descriptions of each beer style and what is generally accepted by the BJCP.

BYO Magazine
http://byo.com/ Tons of articles from simple to geek-tacular.

Beer Calculus
http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe Simple online recipe program that lets you tweak your recipes and see how certain additions affect the final product.

Wyeast
http://www.wyeastlab.com/homeenthusiasts.cfm Their site has a lot of good KB articles about yeast.

YouTube (of course)
http://www.youtube.com How to videos on nearly every aspect of brewing, from processes and reviews to DIY projects.

HomeBrewTalk
You already found the best knowledge base out there.

There are virtually an infinite amount of free resources available, but these are the ones I found the most useful when getting started.

Great list, and welcome to your new addiction, er, hobby!

I would add the following, based on hind sight from when I started:

Capper
Spray bottle (to fill with sanitizer)
Stainelss steel colander (if/when you get to partial mashes)
Beer journal for notes on brew process, how beer evolved, how beer turned out, recipe adjustments, etc.

Also, I also purchased a turkey fryer when I started brewing, and I couldn't be happier. It allows me to hang outside, and the wife is happy because the kitchen stays clean! Below is a link to the fryer I purchased:

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...Id=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UInUY5G9KSM

The bonus of the fryer is that it comes with a 30 qt. aluminum pot (which you'll need to put an oxide layer on first by boiling water in it for 60 min) which became my brew kettle, and you get a dial thermometer with it as well. I have brewed 6 batches with it and had no issues. It brings 4 gallons of water to boil in no time, and is built well for the price.

Once again, welcome! Let us know how the first batch goes!

Great tips, I'll keep adding the little extras to my list. A journal is a great idea - I'll be sure to keep good notes on technique, times, etc. My next decision will be where to actually brew and store everything in the basement, so it doesn't get too much light or interference from spiders :)

Regarding PET safety, I've done my research. Antimony, Phthalates, endocrine disruptors... you may choose for yourself what you are willing to ingest. We've all but eliminated phthalates, parabens, BPA, and any number 7 plastic in our home. You'll find that nearly every website telling you it's safe, is from inside the industry. Most are on the plastic manufacturer's website (as you admitted saying that Better Bottle mollified you, as if they would say anything different when everything they sell is made of PETE...) But honestly, we don't need to dwell on that topic here. It's a choice my family made, and you're absolutely free to make any choices you wish to make for yourself! We're all friends here and I have no wish to start an argument. I'm a newbie and I appreciate the education.

We're plastic-phobic in my house, so I'm planning on fermenting in glass. This is the equipment I'm thinking about buying. I foresee extract brewing only for awhile, I just know I'm not up for half/all-day brews being a dad of a 1 year old. Thinking about getting outdoor turkey fryer propane kit so I don't annoy wife with the mess, too.

8 gallons is a bit small for 5g batch, but I used a 7.5g pot for several years without any problems. Only problem is you will have to watch it very carefully when it comes up to the boil.

Mesh grain bags
Never used them, but sounds like a good idea.
Fine-mesh hop bags
Used them once, but they were too small. I'm sure they would work fine if they are large enough.
Why do you need a thermometer? It's either boiling or not.
25' copper wort chiller
Good
Hydrometer
Good
Strainer and funnel
Good
I much prefer 6.5g. I also find I need at least 2 primary fermenters.
That will give you an idea of the fermentation temperature, but it won't control that temperature. For best results, you need a method for controlling the fermentation temperature.
They're cheap. Get a few spares.
Good
I thought you were plastic phobic. :)
Good
bottle filler and tubing
Good
Good
Good

Look okay for a starter kit? Any advice or recommendations?

I'm not planning on using a secondary, I'll use Whirlfloc and give the wort a little extra time to settle in the glass before bottling.
Good

What about a bottle capper, and bottle caps?

I have a spare wing bottle capper that I will never use again. If you need one and PM me with a name and address, I can send it to you. If you're happy with it, you can send me the shipping cost. If you're not happy with it, then forget the shipping cost.

-a.

One thing you'll find is it takes time to heat and cool the wort. A big burner and plate chiller should save some time on brew day.

One more thing
Think about how you are going to get some oxygen into your wort.
Cheapest tool is a paint mixer and cordless drill.

One more thing
Think about how you are going to get some oxygen into your wort.
Cheapest tool is a paint mixer and cordless drill.

Not sure what drill you're thinking of, but it's hard to get just a good drill for what you can get the O2 infusion kit from William's Brewing for. It's a good starting point if you don't want to spend a little more for a regulator with flow meter that will also use standard welding O2 tanks. :rockin:

Personally, I don't buy cheap tools. So the drill (alone) would be at least twice the cost of the linked kit.

Not sure what drill you're thinking of, but it's hard to get just a good drill for what you can get the O2 infusion kit from William's Brewing for. It's a good starting point if you don't want to spend a little more for a regulator with flow meter that will also use standard welding O2 tanks. :rockin:

Personally, I don't buy cheap tools. So the drill (alone) would be at least twice the cost of the linked kit.

Well your right about the cost of the drill.
I just assume that everyone has basic tools like that.
I suppose that since lots of people live in apartments, don't work on cars or other things, what I would think of as something as basic as a drill ( doesn't everyone have at least 3 or 4? ) would be an extra purchase for some.
I've got multiple cordless, couple of corded and an air drill myself.

If you don't have a drill, it's not the cheap route. If you do, the paint mixer is about $4 and it's long enough that the drill never is over your wort if you just angle it.

I am going to invest in an oxygenating system, and I'm going to build a proper stir plate. The more I learn about yeast, the more I'm wanting to do things a little different.

Well your right about the cost of the drill.
I just assume that everyone has basic tools like that.
I suppose that since lots of people live in apartments, don't work on cars or other things, what I would think of as something as basic as a drill ( doesn't everyone have at least 3 or 4? ) would be an extra purchase for some.
I've got multiple cordless, couple of corded and an air drill myself.

If you don't have a drill, it's not the cheap route. If you do, the paint mixer is about $4 and it's long enough that the drill never is over your wort if you just angle it.

I am going to invest in an oxygenating system, and I'm going to build a proper stir plate. The more I learn about yeast, the more I'm wanting to do things a little different.

When I got my cordless drill, it was about $200 (18v DeWalt cordless hammer drill, with 1/2" chuck). That was just the drill, case, charger and two batteries. I use that to power my Monster Mill as well as anything else I need to drill/screw/etc. :D

Knowing the limitations of using ambient air to oxygenate/aerate, I quickly moved to using a pure O2 system. No matter how you infuse, without using pure O2, you limit yourself (and the wort) to no more than 8ppm of dissolved O2. Fine for lower OG batches, but not for moderate and above.

Learning about yeast wrangling, IMO, is a game changer. The little buggers do so much for us, the least we can do is give them what they need to do the job better and with less stress.

BTW, I was living in a small apartment when I got my cordless drill. I also purchased more than a few other tools while living there. Now that I'm renting a house, I'm getting more of my tools moved in. Getting my drill press this weekend. Band saw should be not too far away. Nice wood work bench will also be here this weekend. Oh, and my oxy-acetylene welding system will also be here this weekend. :rockin: Looking to get a small metal lathe as soon as possible too. Probably need to get an electrician in to run more power into the unfinished part of the basement for the tools. :D

*8 gallon Stainless Pot (with drain valve if I find a good deal so I don't have to pour it, thinking about Bayou Classic)

I think this is a good starting point. It's good for 5 gallon extract boils and if you're looking for 10 gallon batches, you have to to 15G. It's a smart place to start in my opinion. If/when you go AG, it makes the most sense to go 15 gallon...but that's probably overkill for a 5 gallon/beginner only setup. 10G could get you some extra flexibility to go a little bigger in extract...but that's a BIG pot and you gotta really think about propane/outdoors at that point. That 8G/10G could see use in a 15 gallon AG setup. A 5 gallon is definitely too small and I regretted the purchase...should have gone at least 8G.

*Mesh grain bags

Yep. Get the fine, fine mesh since you're likely steeping grains.

*Fine-mesh hop bags

Yep. There's ways around this, but it's a convenience thing.

As others have suggested, a digital thermometer is a better bet. BrewHardware.com (Bobby M) has a really accurate thermometer for not a ton more, but it is more.

*25' copper wort chiller

If I could do it over again, I would have gone 50' stainless. I'm getting ready to sell my 25' copper IC. The extra won't hurt and you'll be prepared for AG 10 gallon setups.

*Hydrometer

Necessary or desirable, depending on how much you want to know about your beer.

*Strainer and funnel

Strainer? Funnel, yes. Strainer, optional but handy. If you're careful in bottling, it's not as big a deal.

*6 gallon glass carboy (fermentor)

I'd go 6.5. Marginal cost and worth it for the headspace. You'll get more of these most likely, but down the road. And yes, get a brewhauler for safety unless you really trust yourself with serious weight...a 5G batch is pretty heavy.

*Stick-on thermometer for fermentor

Yes.

*carboy stopper with airlock

Yes.

*auto-siphon and tubing and siphon clip

Smart with the auto siphone. I'd get a bottling tube instead of the siphon clip. You're gonna get one anyway, might as well start there. Drop the clip in that case.

*5-6 gallon bottling bucket with spigot

Go 6 gallon, just in case, because pretty soon, you're gonna figure out that you want an actual 5 gallons from that 5 gallon setup.

*Large spoon for stirring priming sugar

Use whatever you have in your kitchen. Preferably a high temp silicon stir so you don't scratch up your pan.

*bottle filler and tubing

See comments above about clip. No need for clip with a bottle filler.

*lots of dark glass bottles

Save 'em. Get your local restaurant to save 'em for you. Whatever you do, don't pay for them.

*Sanitation supplies (sanitizer, carboy washer, drying rack, bottle rack, big plastic tub to hold things, etc)

Starsan, PBW, carboy brush, carboy dryer sit, bottle tree, big plastic tub(s). Yes. A vinator is useful, but you'll at least need something to sanitize everything in.

Don't forget bottle caps.

Plan for at least 10% more. This hobby has a way of hiding unforeseen expenses.

Black and Decker drills are about 40 bucks and you can get a lot of use around the house having a decent drill.

I agree. Buying top end tools is great but you don't need to buy the best if you don't use the tool heavily and aren't professional.
I've got some black and decker cordless drills. I've got a couple of them that I've had for about 6 years now and used them heavily and they are still going strong. Good quality for the money.

That being said, when I said a paint mixer and cordless drill I wasn't thinking about the fact that some people don't have multiple drills around the house and garage.

If you need to buy a drill, I would just get the oxygen system.

I will probably buy a new corded drill when I get my grain mill though.
I will just add another drill to the collection and use it for motorizing the mill.
It will be an inexpensive drill since it's purpose will just be turning the grain mill.
Rig up a mount ( using my old tools ) and permanent part of the grain mill.

Okay, thanks for that info. What do most people put the full carboys on to rack / fill bottles? Up onto a kitchen counter? Or are there other methods of raising them up a bit for siphoning?

Most people probably use a bottling bucket, so you can still go that way...I was trying to provide you with a method of bottling that would eliminate a plastic bucket while also giving you a vessel that you could use for secondary if you so choose in the future (or smaller batches). Yes, you would elevate it to the counter, where the brew-hauler would come in handy.

As others have said, though, I'd really research the PET carboys. Glass is incredibly heavy, dangerous (breaks), etc. Just a thought, if you still go glass, you're certainly not the only one.

Regarding PET safety, I've done my research. .....You'll find that nearly every website telling you it's safe, is from inside the industry. Most are on the plastic manufacturer's website (as you admitted saying that Better Bottle mollified you, as if they would say anything different when everything they sell is made of PETE...)

Sorry. I wasn't being clear. The company that makes Better Bottles had nothing to do with "mollifying" me.
The scientists I was metioning work with me at a research university (Johns Hopkins) and have no vested interest with the plastics manufacurers.

Regardless. It is your personal choice & I am *not* trying to change your mind. I was only offering an option.
For *me* it was a safety issue based on weight & danger.

No worries at all, I didn't take any offense and certainly didn't intend to give any. I don't trust PET but HDPE has no leaching or plasticisers, so I'm still debating whether to bottle from a glass carboy or just an HDPE bottling bucket with spigot. If I go glass, I'll do a stainless racking wand and carboy cap to create the siphon, with the inline filter where you blow into it. If I go plastic bucket, the beer won't be in there for more than a few minutes so I'm less concerned about any issues from the plastic. For $12 I might just go with the plastic for now, and when I'm ready to get a 2nd fermentor, just get a 6.5 gallon glass carboy and use it for bottling, too.

So many decisions, but it's been a lot of fun deciding!

What is a vinator?

vinator__97215_zoom.jpg
this

Back