6 months on the yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zamial

Reaction score
Title says it all. I am sampling the 1st sample of my O-fest ale that has been on the yeast for about 6 months at about 35 PSI. I ramped up the PSI to naturally carb the beer towards the end of primary, closed pressurised fermentation style.

It is FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC. Not even a hint of mytholysis...err...I mean Autolysis. or any other detectable off flavor that I can gleen from an overcarbed warm sample. BTW what is a secondary? j/k :cross:

Now I will need to filter out the majority of the yeast and adjust the carb level as it chills. Oktoberfest is almost here!!!! It is going to be hard to not keep sampling this...

I have a mead that has been on the yeast almost an entire year... I made it last year on Halloween and will enjoy bottling it just before this years Halloween. I will have 1 bottle on this and every Halloween going forward until it is gone.

FWIW it is a Brochet metheglin (A burnt honey mead, hopped like an IPA) I call it "Black No.1" after the Type O Negative song.

We have a fellow in our HBC that has a wine that has been on the yeast for 5 or 6 years... I do not remember but I am pretty sure it is still on it. That is a bit extreame IMHO but this is just to help show people that you can leave stuff on the yeast for a long time and not have issues.

I have had success in the past with 4 months. Once I let it go 8 on a brown ale and it tasted terribly of autolysis. I'm not sure what the exact trigger might be for autolysis because I have read plenty about both sides of the coin.

Back