Any tips for setting up a nitro (beergas) system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergolf

Reaction score
My wife has decided that her favorite brews are stouts on nitro, so she has informed me that I have to get all the stuff to keep some stout on nitro for her.

I currently do not keg but I guess I am going to now.

I have read a ton of threads about it and it seems it is best to carb the brew to a low level using CO2 and then put it on the beergas. So I guess I will end up with one tap for CO2 and another for nitro. She has no problem with me getting everything I need to do it right.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Wow, life's rough, don't know what I'd do if my gal told me I needed to keep stout on tap with nitro.

I'm sitting this out of pure jealousy, if that isn't obvious. Good luck :)

Wow, life's rough, don't know what I'd do if my gal told me I needed to keep stout on tap with nitro.

I'm sitting this out of pure jealousy, if that isn't obvious. Good luck :)

Be careful what you wish for... you might get it. My SWMBO loves beer, which means that if I'm away for a week, I come home to empty kegs.

You can go many ways; the cheapest would be using beer gas. I used to have a setup with beer gas, but the tanks are very expensive to fill around me and I would only get about 3 kegs for each tank.

About 2 years ago, I traded my beer gas tank for a pure nitrogen tank, and purchased a gas blender. Micromatic mm100 and Mcdantim trumix 100 are the most common gas blenders in use. Now I have a CO2 tank and a nitrogen tank. The cost to fill both tanks is about ¼ the price of a tank of beer gas, and lasts about 3-4 times as long. It will take a while to offset the cost of the gas blender, but the gas is always perfect and cheaper per keg.

This article also makes me leery of pre blended beer gas:
http://www.beertravelers.com/lists/drafttech.html

You can usually find a bargain on a used blenders on ebay, new they run about $700.

Latest posts

Back