Skeeter Pee with Beer Slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smyrnaquince

Reaction score
Has anyone made a Skeeter Pee with a beer slurry? I'm getting ready to make a hefeweizen (wheat) beer this weekend and was thinking about the trub that will be leftover when I rack it into the bottling bucket in a couple of weeks.

Will a beer slurry work? (The original yeast will be WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast.)

How would it affect the taste?

I've never done it, but my understanding is that you really want it to be from a wine yeast which will be better at tolerating the high ABV and acidity.

WLP300 is listed as having an alcohol tolerance of "medium", so it may struggle with Skeeter Pee when it starts to edge up around 10%.

I have a US05 slurry I'm thinking of using for skeeter pee... Never tried it, but I have a lemon tree so I figure it wouldn't hurt to at least try - it's basically free except for the cost of sugar.

If one of you two tries it, let me know how it works out. I am skeptical, for the reasons I already stated... but OTOH I'd love to make Skeeter Pee, and I have a regular supply of beer yeast cakes to harvest from but no wine yeast cakes.

Anyone have luck using a beer yeast? I really wanna make skeeter pee but I don't have any wine yeast. I can go to the store and get real lemon and sugar easily but my nearest LHBS is 1:30 minutes away. :mad:

Beer yeast works fine, you can reduce the sugar to lower the abv if you are worrying about stretching your yeast's limits too far.

Mike's Hard Lemonade has malt in it after all.

I ended up making a batch of apfelwein and using that yeast - only to find that fresh squeezed lemon juice is even more of a preservative than the stuff on the shelf that has actual preservatives. Took a week to get goin, but it's bubbling good now.

I have my third batch going using a beer yeast slurry. It works fine. Just give it time to ferment off the beer smell. The second racking should clear things up nicely. The pee can be a little darker depending on the beer style but just flavour and all is good. Apple and lime are the top sellers here.

I am thinking to try a 5gal batch of Skeeter Pee on the yeast cake from my currently fermenting Belgian Quadrupel, using WLP500. The high Alcohol tolerance characteristic should help. Will post results.

Back