Added blow off, but the bucket is still leaking.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFranko

Reaction score
Hi HBT, first time poster, long time lurker. I started my second batch last night, which is a Russian imperial stout with an OG of 1.08. After 26 hours into the fermentation I noticed the airlock leaking, so I looked up how to setup a blow off, and set one up. Now it is leaking a little from around the rim. Is this an issue other than the mess?
f31030d7.jpg

Also, while I have your attention, how long should I ferment? I was planning on doing 2 weeks in the primary, 3-4 in the secondary, and 3 weeks in the bottles (though I'll inevitably have one after each week, "just to make sure things are going right.")

In addition to the other 2 questions... You can just put the hose through the top and leave off the airlock all together. Doing this will give you a larger opening for the krasen that is building up to escape.

Hi HBT, first time poster, long time lurker. I started my second batch last night, which is a Russian imperial stout with an OG of 1.08. After 26 hours into the fermentation I noticed the airlock leaking, so I looked up how to setup a blow off, and set one up. Now it is leaking a little from around the rim. Is this an issue other than the mess?
f31030d7.jpg

Also, while I have your attention, how long should I ferment? I was planning on doing 2 weeks in the primary, 3-4 in the secondary, and 3 weeks in the bottles (though I'll inevitably have one after each week, "just to make sure things are going right.")

This picture looks EXACTLY like my fermentor did this morning when I woke up and checked on it, except I have the tube shoved directly into the grommet without the airlock attached. Apparently my tube had clogged up and the CO2 and Krausen were escaping by the only other means - around the lid. I'm glad I caught it when I did or I might've had a bigger mess on my hands. My Brewers Best bucket showed the EXACT same leakage signs as yours.

I ended up pulling the tube, installing a new clean sanitized one, cleaning up the bucket, and then heading off to work. Nine hours later and all is well, no more signs of leaking around the lid and the yeast are still working like crazy.

I'd bet that your airlock is plugged up a little at the tip just inside the lid because my tube was clogged even without the airlock on it. I'd pull the airlock, clean and re-sanitize the tube, and then stick the tube right into the grommet without the airlock. It goes in really easy with a Star San on it.

Yeah I will agree with the others. I see no action in your pitcher or the tube. I am betting the airlock is clogged and the pressure is having to find another way out.

Also, while I have your attention, how long should I ferment? I was planning on doing 2 weeks in the primary, 3-4 in the secondary, and 3 weeks in the bottles (though I'll inevitably have one after each week, "just to make sure things are going right.")[/QUOTE]

Im a noob but everything I know says beers like RIS and Barleywines require extended fermentation to eat up all that sugar. Ive read anywhere from 3 to 8 months in the secondary.

Try leaving that beer in the primary longer. I left a stout in mine for 4 1/2 weeks and it came out really smooth. You RIS might need longer than mine because of the higher OG. I didn't use a secondary at all. You may want to secondary yours but I don't think there is any reason that you "have to".

Other than the mess, there's nothing to worry about. I recommend not transferring to secondary unless you have a good reason to do so, like dry hopping or adding fruit. I'd let it ferment for at least 4 weeks, and then check for correct FG before bottling or kegging.

When you pull the airlock to clean it, do yourself a favor and cut the little 'X' off the bottom. It's very responsible for blockage.

If it were me, I'd primary that sucker forever. In fact, I'd control the temps for a month or so and then store it away in a nice dark closet and brew a few more batches for the pipeline. But, I don't make beer over 1.07 or so (for this time reason), so other experiences may prove more valuable. Kyle

Is the gasket on the lid?

No, it just snaps on, there is one on the top for the airlock though.

Yeah I will agree with the others. I see no action in your pitcher or the tube. I am betting the airlock is clogged and the pressure is having to find another way out.

The picture is a pale yellow now, I took that picture right after I set up the blow off. When I took the air lock out it was full of krausen and a lot of the wort was on the top of the bucket

Im a noob but everything I know says beers like RIS and Barleywines require extended fermentation to eat up all that sugar. Ive read anywhere from 3 to 8 months in the secondary.

I don't know if I can wait that long:D

Other than the mess, there's nothing to worry about. I recommend not transferring to secondary unless you have a good reason to do so, like dry hopping or adding fruit. I'd let it ferment for at least 4 weeks, and then check for correct FG before bottling or kegging.

I have some course ground whiskey chocolate coffee. My plan was to cold brew a few cups of it and add it to the bottling bucket to make a coffee stout. Do you think it would be better to just add it to the secondary, if so how long before bottling day? Either way I plan on putting it in the secondary so I can get another batch going. If this is a bad idea I guess I could go pick up another lid for my bottling bucket and use it as a fermenter.

Thanks for all of your replies:mug:

Either way I plan on putting it in the secondary so I can get another batch going. If this is a bad idea I guess I could go pick up another lid for my bottling bucket and use it as a fermenter.

Thanks for all of your replies:mug:

No, no, that's fine. Generally, I think transferring to secondary is an outdated practice and opens your beer to unnecessary air, contamination, etc. But I'd transfer to secondary before spending more money on another vessel.

If this is a bad idea I guess I could go pick up another lid for my bottling bucket and use it as a fermenter.

My LHBS has fermenter buckets with lid and airlock for about $15. You'll need your bottling bucket when the next batch is done so I wouldn't use it for a fermenter.

Back