Using carboy for the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primevci

Reaction score
And why oh why didn't i setup a blow off tube lol.. had a nice little mess in my ferment chamber it was off gassing real good so ill just let it ride out as i dont think anything could have gotten in even if it wanted to must have caught it at the start because it wasn't a huge mess.. had to sacrifice t my auto siphon tubing thow and parts of a airlock :(

HA! I just purchased replacement auto-siphon tubing last week for the same reason. Since this past new years eve I use blow off tubes for all of my primary fermenters. I had two airlocks blow off in my shower. Nothing says happy new year like cleaning porter off of your ceiling with a headache.

I'm so thankful I used a blow off tube for my first carboy fermentation. I needed it.

Now, I'm still only using a bucket for primary, but if you use a 6.5 gallon glass carboy for primary, do you still need a blowoff tube, or is that just for the 5 gallon carboy?

i've needed a blowoff tube twice in years of brewing. main thing i do is, when i take it in the house to ferment, i put it in a tote, then add the yeast. i use dry yeast, though, which rarely builds up the fermentation to need a blowoff

love my 6.5 gallon for 5 gallons batches. not saying i won't ever need a blowoff tube but that is a lot more space for stuff to go.

love my 6.5 gallon for 5 gallons batches. not saying i won't ever need a blowoff tube but that is a lot more space for stuff to go.
Rig a blowoff tube even on your buckets, even if you just add some tubing to a three piece airlock.

This is what the bottom of my bucket lid looks like every time I brew my rye
bucket-lid1.jpg

So, hook up a hose for the first couple days. It's a couple bucks, and while you might not have needed it yet, you'll be happy you had it when you finally do.
blowofftube.jpg

Back