Sorachi Ace!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschool

Reaction score
Wow, I had Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace last weekend at a beer fest. Wow, that hop is begging to be in an IPA! It's just so bright and citrusy. Anyone do and IPA with it yet? Maybe a SMaSH?

I've used it in an IPA. It was very nice.

Of course, being the goofball that I am, I used the SA at flameout. Yes, flameout. Being a 14%+ AA hop, it left an oil slick on the kettle.

The IPA was really good, though.

I have used it in light beers to make a nice summer quaffer. I agree this could make a really good IPA. I have about 3/4s of pound in my fridge. I might have to do that.

Only after I get my half-pound cascade amber into a keg. 65 ibus. :D

Great to hear that a brewery has come out with a Sorachi based brew and an IPA to boot. I have a bunch of Sorachi Ace leaf that I planned on using in a Wheat beer but now I may also try it in an IPA based on your glowing review of Brooklyn's Sorachi based IPA. I don't think that I will do a SMASH with it though. I think that it would be a bit too much. Montanaandy

To clear up some confusion I do believe Brooklyns Sorachi Ace is a Saison and not an IPA as some appear to believe. With that said this is a hop I am anxious to use.

To clear up some confusion I do believe Brooklyns Sorachi Ace is a Saison and not an IPA as some appear to believe. With that said this is a hop I am anxious to use.

Yes, it is a Saison. I just thought the citrus hop character would go well in an IPA.

Yes, it is a Saison. I just thought the citrus hop character would go well in an IPA.

It seemed that another poster or two may have been under the impression it was an IPA, I was just trying to be helpful and clarify.

The citrus flavor could be very interesting in a number of style including an IPA. I really like the citric hop flavors and this is one I am excited to work with.

It does make a great single-hop IPA. The only problem is that it fades quickly, and after a month or so it isn't nearly as hoppy.

It works well in an American Wheat too.

It does make a great single-hop IPA. The only problem is that it fades quickly, and after a month or so it isn't nearly as hoppy.

It works well in an American Wheat too.

That only applies to late hop additions, flavor and aroma. It will not affect bitterness. India Pale Ales are traditionally bittered for long voyages to India. However, if you late hop well enough the fading is negligible.

"To clear up some confusion I do believe Brooklyns Sorachi Ace is a Saison and not an IPA as some appear to believe."

Even more interesting. Montanaandhy

One of my best IPAs I've made was a 50/50 blend of sorachi ace and summit. 2oz each at KO and in dry hops. 6 months later the beer was still hoppy and potent. It's was a quirky beer though. Lemony, tangerine, and grassy.

I also did a saison with 100% SA and the freNch saison yeast. Turned out pretty killer. It was my take on a fantome style saison, which I prefer to dupont.

I also did a saison with 100% SA and the freNch saison yeast. Turned out pretty killer. It was my take on a fantome style saison, which I prefer to dupont.

that sounds awesome. i'm getting ready to brew a saison with SA...care to share the recipe dirty?

that sounds awesome. i'm getting ready to brew a saison with SA...care to share the recipe dirty?

Unfortunately that recipe is long lost on a old hard drive...however, I know it was a really simple recipe so Ill get you as close as I can remember. Also, note that it wasnt particularly Fantome-esque. Im just not a Dupont fan. I like the citrusy, estery notes more than the herbal flavors.

It was something like this...

6lb Belgian Pils
3lb Munich 5L
1.5lb table sugar

Mash @ 148

60min .5oz Sorachi
15min .5oz sorachi
KO .5 oz sorachi

Wyeast 3711 French Saison. Start fermentation at 66-68 degrees...let free rise until you hit terminal gravity(generally gets around 76-78 max). I remember getting about 85% attenuation due to the low mash temps, sugar addition, and the powerful yeast. Something like:

1.058-62 OG
1.007-10 FG
30 IBUs

Like I said....really simple recipe. Had a nice lemon citrus and grassy note from the hops which blended well with the citrusy esters the yeast puts off. Also had a peppery spiciness that came off more like a side note to the citrus instead of a big up front flavor.

Back