Question about the fittings on a corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Confucius

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a corny keg for a project completely unrelated to brewing, but was wondering if you unscrew the ports and pull out the dip tube and all that jazz, what sort of fitting remains? Anything special about the threads? Inner diameter? Is there a chamfer where a flared tube could rest?

I know, kind of random questions, but any help would be great.

Mine all have a threaded hole with a groove for the tube's o-ring. You'd have to machine a chamfer.

Oh, that makes sense, I was sort of assuming there was threaded posts welded to the keg itself.

Another question, that pressure relief valve, I know it can be actuated by hand, but is there a pressure it will release by itself? I've seen 130 psi used as the amount of pressure a corny keg can hold, so I'd assume somewhere around there.

I'm thinking about getting a corny keg for a project completely unrelated to brewing, but was wondering if you unscrew the ports and pull out the dip tube and all that jazz, what sort of fitting remains? Anything special about the threads? Inner diameter? Is there a chamfer where a flared tube could rest?

I know, kind of random questions, but any help would be great.

There are different thread sizes for different keg manufacturers and types (pin lock vs. ball lock). If you google "pin lock ball lock" with "threads" or "conversion", you should be able to find info about the sizes and some pictures, at least of the posts themselves. I don't have the actual links handy (wrong computer) otherwise I'd post it.

Rich

All of my cornies have male posts welded to the keg, the fitting that the QD attaches to is female threaded. They are of different sizes/threads. I took one to the hardware store for a project and was able to find something in brass that fit the threads.

Don't know the psi value of the PRV, but I would not be doing something that relies on it to save me from blowing up a keg.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/chrisknight000#p/u/5/Eu68wZcTztc"]Check out this video ... [/ame]

Back