Welch's Wine but no Champagne Yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Reaction score
I thought I had some champagne yeast, but no. So I am going to use some of the Red Star Premier Cuvee instead.

Also considered:

Lalvin 71B-1122
Red Star Cote des Blancs

We'll see how it turns out. Everything is an experiment anyhow! :mug:

Jennifer

I used Lalvin 71B-1122 on each batch of welches wine I've made and it worked really well for me. As a matter of fact I'll be bottling a batch today, I was supposed to do it yesterday but sh*t happens. :D

Hey, thanks for the link gatus, made a copy of it. Looks like I didn't make too bad of a choice. It is comparable to Lalvin EC-1118 which is what I found others using.

I'll keep the Lalvin 71B-1122 for next time.

Appreciate the input folks,

Jennifer

What's your recipe for this stuff? I have tried this in the past but the result was less tasty wine and more gross butt-crack.

~M~

What's your recipe for this stuff? I have tried this in the past but the result was less tasty wine and more gross butt-crack.

~M~
Heres the recipe I use only I multiply it for bigger batches It's one of Yooperbrews (one of the moderators here on HBT). I give it four stars.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------Welch's Grape Juice Wine
Recipe Type: Extract Yeast: Wine yeast Batch Size (Gallons): 1 Original Gravity: 1.095 Final Gravity: .996 Boiling Time (Minutes): 0.0 Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30 Additional Fermentation: Rack until clear Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30

Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine
2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast

Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.

I thought I had some champagne yeast, but no. So I am going to use some of the Red Star Premier Cuvee instead.

Also considered:

Lalvin 71B-1122
Red Star Cote des Blancs

We'll see how it turns out. Everything is an experiment anyhow! :mug:

Jennifer

Red Star Premier Cuvee and Lalvin EC1118 Champagne are basically the same strain. You should be good.

That is a nice neutral yeast that seems to be pretty commonly used. It does have very high alcohol tolerance so you wine will be dry unless stabilized and back sweetened.

Craig

Heres the recipe I use only I multiply it for bigger batches It's one of Yooperbrews (one of the moderators here on HBT). I give it four stars.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------Welch's Grape Juice Wine
Recipe Type: Extract Yeast: Wine yeast Batch Size (Gallons): 1 Original Gravity: 1.095 Final Gravity: .996 Boiling Time (Minutes): 0.0 Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30 Additional Fermentation: Rack until clear Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30

Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine
2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast

Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.

Nice. I'll have to give this a try.

Thanks.

~M~

Back