To dump or not to dump...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egurney

Reaction score
After getting the beer into the primary, put blow off hose on. Had some yeast activity in the beer, but used fermcap this time. Decided to change out the hose with the airlock. So I got out my carboy full of Starsan to sanitize the airlock.
Funny thing.. the Starsan had to foam. Got out the pH strips and no change.
Sh*t, I must have added the wort to the Starsan instead of the clean water.
There was probably about 1 gallon of Starsan in the carboy (which explains the extra water I had to add to the primary).

Should I dump this batch and chalk it up to experience or should I wait it out and see how it comes out?

e

Basically, I added my wort to 1+ gallons of StarSan instead of my 2+ gallons of clean water...

i guess that brings new meaning to having some "suds" Dump it man. Chalk it up to a mistake and i bet you will never do that again. 5 gallons of beer and 25 bucks are not worth your health and well being.

Get yourself a cheap bucket and lid to keep your starsan in, that way you won't likely do that again. ;)

I use a 23L pail that grape juice for a wine kit came in, I put a spigot on it and I wrote 'STARSAN' in big black letters on the sides and top.

Last week I accidentally dry hopped some star san.:D The pellets were ready for my beer to rack onto it, and I racked the star san into it instead of the other carboy. That's what I get for having 5 batches going at once:)

It's supposed to be fine as long as the PH is ok. According to the guy from 5star, it will be consumed by the yeast.

Anyone else know where you can find phosphoric acid in a relatively high concentrartion... Coca Cola, that's why it's bad for your teeth and cleans your battery.

I actually have done the same thing, not with a gallon, more like a quart, but I had no ill effects on the beer or myself. After I started filling my carboy I realized I had never emptied it completely. Be careful, but I think you will be fine, if the yeast is alive, you will be too.

Latest posts

Back