Doh! Assumed wrong (airlock content)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bone2

Reaction score
Newbie. First batch. Used logic and said to myself, "self, you don't need to put the little red top on the airlock". After all, the airlock is bubbling OUT, not IN. I have now heard from a source that the little red cap should be on....

:eek:

Its not a big deal. There should be co2 pushing thru there anyway. Did you put any sanitizer solution or vodka in there? You can just put some foil over the top...

that was the other thing he said....

No, I just put regular tap water in there.

What is the deal with vodka? already sterile?

PS. I DID sanitize the airlock prior to use.

I guess vodka could be considered sterile, but you want something in there that will kill potential nasties. Just put some foil over it and forget it for now. There's enough co2 coming out of there to protect you until you can remedy the situation...

*** disclaimer - this in no way translates to me advocating the use of airlocks ***

BierMuncher said:
I like to use cheap rum. It smells nice when its bubbling and the darker color makes it easier to see from a distance.
Not a bad idea...I've got a bottle cheap of rum that a party guest left at the house. I'm not gonna drink that stuff, so why waste my vodka on the airlocks.

Back