citra ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a bit new to this, but i'm ready to try my own recipe. I really like the flavor of citrus ia a beer, being from Riverside ca, most everybody grows some variety in their yard. i read up some on this hop called citra, so i bought some and ready to mash tomorrow.

I just returned from vegas and had some great beer at a brew-house off the strip. They had a golden ale that was delicious, and had a great citris aroma. i was thinking they might have used the citra hop. anyhoo, below is what I have together to mash. Please feel free to provide advice.

batch size 5 gallon
Yeast = Nottingham
8 lbs American 2 row
1 lb carapils malt (dextrine)
1 Lb crystal 15 (carastan)
1 lb honey malt

Hops = Centennial for bittering
hops = Citra for Flavor/Aroma

The recipe might sound a bit strong, but i like deep rich beers

thanks

Too much crystal malt and way too much honey malt. How many IBUs are you thinking? Golden ale I would place as a blonde ale. 20ish IBU and 4-8 oz crystal. You can use honey malt in place of crystal but it's not a crystal malt.

I use 4 oz Carastan and 4 oz honey malt. Shoot for and OG 1.045-1050. Bitter to near 20 IBU and add 1 oz Citra at flame out steeping it for 10 minutes than begin chilling.

If it's what you like, try it, everyone has different tastes. Some say that citra hops give a more mango flavor, I don't know yet but I have 8oz of citra waiting for me to brew a special red. I'm going to use it specifically because I'm trying to get mango similar to odells extra special red.

Keep on brewing my friends:mug:

Too much crystal malt and way too much honey malt. How many IBUs are you thinking? Golden ale I would place as a blonde ale. 20ish IBU and 4-8 oz crystal. You can use honey malt in place of crystal but it's not a crystal malt.

thanks for your response

i have a bag with the grain all milled together. i know it probably sounds a bit on the rich side, but I'll give it a whirl anyway. i'm still getting the hang of trying to keep the temps correct in my mash tun, so i may not get as much conversion you could expect from that amount of grain, so my sg may not come out as high as i might expect. i dont like a real bitter, but one rich and hoppy

Ijust pulled a sample to check the FG after 6 days fermenting with Nottingham at 65-68 dg. very cloudy, sample taken from bottom bucket spigot

Original FG 1.045
Now FG 1.010

wow. pretty bitter. I like hoppy beers. I used 2 oz Centenial at various time stages and 2 oz citra. wonderful hoppy aroma.I keep burping up hops from the tiny sample i tasted. I'll give this at least another week in the fermenter to clean it up, until i put it into a Corney

It all depends on when you put them in. If you bittered with 2oz of Centennial (approx 9% AA at beginning of boil) then your already looking at 82 ibu's. Citra (normally at 12% AA) will give you great flavor, but only if added to the boil @ 20 thru 10 min remaining. Anything after that is purely aroma.

If the mouthfeel seems a little thick, I'd try it with less carapils or less crystal 15 next time. 2 lbs of crystal malt in a 5 gallon batch seems like too much body to be very drinkable to me.

Back