Unhopped sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
Has anyone tried making an unhopped sour beer?
I'm thinking of instead of just tossing a decanted starter, could I combine it with more DME, and some honey, and pitch it onto a Brett C cake and have something drinkable? I'm curious whether the sour from the brett is enough to balance the sweetness of the wort.

I've had unhopped sours before (berliner weiss). Good stuff, it is definately doable, I'll let someone with experience brewing sours speak to the details.

I'm thinking I should be fine since it'll be like a braggot and those aren't always hopped

I think it will be fine, but what it will not be is sour, brett doesnt really produce much in the way of acidity, you need pedio or its little wimpy brother lacto

oh really? eh, ill just see how it turns out. can I throw in the bugs down in the road if I change my mind?

so this will be my first all brett (technically not all brett as 1/2 of the DME is from a 1L scottish/abbey starter) and first braggot, am I better off adding some late/dry hops or will this be fine without? I have amarillo, centennial, chinook, nugget, goldings, and williamette.
1G batch
1-1.5lb DME
1-1.5lb honey
brett C cake from secondary of a barleywine

Back