Saison Temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurieGator

Reaction score
I am looking to brew a saison since I can't get my fermentation temps below 72F right now with water bath and I have no room in the garage for another fridge to keep the temps lowered.

I am wondering what the upper limit of temps are with the saison yeast. (I am looking at wyeast 3724 for this recipe) I live in Arizona where we are now getting into the mid 100's for temp. I was thinking of letting this puppy ferment in the garage (where the temps are in the upper 90's during the day and the 70's at night).

If that is way too high, I was figuring the infamous water bath to help keep the temps a little more consistent and avoid the spikes during the day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I like to keep saisons cooler (low-mid 70s) for the first couple days and then let them ramp up. 90 would be fine, but you might be better off using the water bath just to keep temps more consistent (ie, even to keep it warmer at night, etc)

You probably can make a good Saison with those temps. It's almost as hot here. I have a rubbermaid tub that I put frozen 2L pop bottles into. Even with the brew shed at 90F exchanging four bottles a day keeps the watter into the mid sixties. Now the 100's are starting I turned on my brew shed's AC (mostly because I keep bottled beer out there too.) I'm going to do a few Belgians then get a controller for my chest freezer and do some lagers in the heat of the summer.

Watch out for fusal alcohols. I don't think conditioning will take care of them. It will be a better beer without them. And you will have them at 90F, or even 80F.

I have it on good authority that Saisons are best crafted on a gradual increase of temps. After pitching (70ish) gradually raise temp to 75 in first week. Gradually raise to low 80's in second week. Raise to high 80's in the third and keep it there until you're ready to bottle (I don't use a secondary).

I'm not a huge fan of Saisons but I may do one since it's hard to keep the house under 74 in the summer.

The beer being in the 90s can shut down the yeast, and can produce some nasty flavors if the beginning of fermentation is conducted at those temps.

Do not let the Saison ferment above 90. I made a couple batches last year that did. They were undrinkable. Nasty sour taste and high fusels.

My roomie raided my stash and knocked back 5 liters one afternoon. (about 14 beers, his normal Saturday diet) He killed the flavor with lemon but this was the easy part.

He couldn't get out of bed the next day due to the fusel hangover. I laughed at him. Told him that's what he gets for raiding my stash.

Back