Is it possible to harvest yeast from Mirror Pond

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaplanfx

Reaction score
I don't see any visible sediment, is there still yeast in a mirror pond bottle to harvest?

-kap

Deschutes doesn't bottle condition their Mirror Pond, so no, there's no yeast in it. Any particular reason you're looking for their yeast?

That's a damned good beer. That was the one that lured me away from BMC and into the wonderful world of real beer.

Deschutes doesn't bottle condition their Mirror Pond, so no, there's no yeast in it. Any particular reason you're looking for their yeast?

Yeah, I am going to make a Mirror Pond clone, thought it would be fun to use actual Mirror Pond yeast if possible as I've never done a yeast harvesting and I like to experiment. I'm sure using the yeast in the recipe will be fine too. Thanks for the info!

-kap

They use a centrifuge to clear their beers so there isn't yeast left at bottling. I think they keep a pretty tight lock on their yeast as well although I know it's just an English ale yeast so I'm sure you could use something that would be really close.

They use a centrifuge to clear their beers so there isn't yeast left at bottling. I think they keep a pretty tight lock on their yeast as well although I know it's just an English ale yeast so I'm sure you could use something that would be really close.

Revisiting this thread, I was drinking Black Butte last night, and I randomly started reading the label ring on the neck. The Black Butte claims a thin layer of yeast in the bottle due to bottle conditioning and natural carbonation. It doesn't say the same on the Mirror Pond, do you think they use the same yeast?

Back