Brutus Style Brewstand Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingGunner

Reaction score
I am starting a brew stand build. It's going to take a while but I'll post pictures. It's going to be a "Brutus" style build with my own flair added. So far I've acquired several of the parts I need. I have 2 March AC-3B-MD pumps, one of which I won through 2013 HBT 2013 Big Vendor Giveaway. I bought my pump connection kits from Bobby at brew hardware. I bought the steel already (2" x 2" square tube from IMS) and a flux core welder from Harbor Freight. I plan to begin construction tomorrow. I should mention that I have absolutely zero welding experience. I have been practicing and it is surprisingly easy. I'll post pics as I go along.

image.jpg

Looks good. Contemplating a build myself..no welding experience to speak of though.

I recommend it. I'm having a ton of fun. As for the welding, I had no experience at all prior to this build. You Tube has tons of videos and a little scrap to practice on is all you need. Plus it's better than spending 3-4K on a stand.

I recommend it. I'm having a ton of fun. As for the welding, I had no experience at all prior to this build. You Tube has tons of videos and a little scrap to practice on is all you need. Plus it's better than spending 3-4K on a stand.

That is my general approach to porjects/DIY work
a) How much will it cost to pay someone to do it?
b) How much will it cost for the Materials/tools for me to do it?
c) Do I have time (is it not urgent)?

If b<a (or close) and c is yes, then I will always do it myself to learn the new skill.

That is my general approach to porjects/DIY work
a) How much will it cost to pay someone to do it?
b) How much will it cost for the Materials/tools for me to do it?
c) Do I have time (is it not urgent)?

If b<a (or close) and c is yes, then I will always do it myself to learn the new skill.

I agree. For the size of metal I am using, and the pumps etc that I am putting on...it would cost me upward of $3-4K to have someone build this, plus shipping! The Metal was $175 wih the cuts already done. $100 for the welder, pumps, connections etc. I think my total was... around $800. I already had the 3 keggles though. If you bumped up the total to $1200-1500, I'm still saving. I won't lie though, it's a lot of work, but it's tons of fun!:rockin:

Pretty nice, I have minimal experiance (and hadn't done any in the last 2-3 years) and my stick welded stand looks terrible compared to yours! I probably got the hang of it on the second to last weld!

I have no welding experience but have wanted to learn for a while. You sir have inspired me to take this on...just as soon as I finish grad school! Cheers!

Pretty nice, I have minimal experiance (and hadn't done any in the last 2-3 years) and my stick welded stand looks terrible compared to yours! I probably got the hang of it on the second to last weld!

Thanks, but I know exactly what you mean!

I just finished a building a stand out of a Werner portable scaffold and unistrut for that very reason! Brewed an Amber last weekend to try it out and man was my back happy! Thank you HBT, Chugger, Stainless Brewing, and Bobby M!!! But I still wanna learn how to weld and plan on building a better stand, but this works for now.

ForumRunner_20130410_222318.jpg

ForumRunner_20130410_222247.jpg

ForumRunner_20130410_222302.png

ForumRunner_20130410_222332.png

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130410_222223.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130410_222223.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,500
Will do. My keg of black IPA blew tonight, so I need to brew this weekend, but I'll find some time to work on it.

I got a little farther yesterday. I ran out of wire! Stopping by Home Depot today to grab some more. I put the keggles on to take a look!

image.jpg

Here's an update, I'll post more pictures soon. Picking up more welding wire and paint. I hope to finish the welding this weekend. I ordered the casters as well. I just need to get the temp controller and mount the pumps then.

WEIGHT TESTING??? Just throw the full keggles up there and light the fires! That's what I'm going to do and (SPLOOSH!) (dies)

That's actually a really good idea and one I probably should have thought of. Guess I got lucky.

WEIGHT TESTING??? Just throw the full keggles up there and light the fires! That's what I'm going to do and (SPLOOSH!) (dies)

That's actually a really good idea and one I probably should have thought of. Guess I got lucky.

Well it's twofold. My burners are in the mail so I'm waiting, and I figure if its gonna crack I'd rather it fall down with thre keggles full of cold water. :rockin:

Drilling the holes for the pumps tonight. Burners should be here tomorrow. I'll attach them and then paint it this weekend. Hopefully I'll be brewing on it next weekend! More pics to follow!:tank:

Id add some rings at the base just to keep things safe.

But it looks real nice.

And Im a fan of the Cam and Groove fittings. Just replaced all my tri clovers with those. Soooo much quicker.

Ok, the burners came in today. I plan to attach them tomorrow and then paint it up. I can't decide wether to make my own mounts and wind screens, or just weld the whole system to the frame? I bought the KAB4 from Amazon. I'm leaning towards just welding the whole system to the rig. Thoughts?

image-509643413.jpg

image-3953572934.jpg

HDIr0n said:
I would weld the whole thing so you have a wind shield and less work.

That's what I'm planning. I'll just grind some of the paint and weld it on. Built a stir plate too.

image-980195149.jpg

I got some work done today. Attached one burner, will attach the other tomorrow. Then I have to sand the surface rust so I can paint it.

image-4122982439.jpg

image-4066960997.jpg

Back