So what do you call a pilsner bill with Wyeast 2112 California Lager yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
So Wyeast 2112 California Lager yeast is considered a hybrid style yeast but is listed under lager. Obviously it's not meant for regular lagering or cold fermenting. Today I made what I call up till now a "Pilsner style ale" since it's a Pils grain bill with Noble hops and was wondering what style one would correctly call such a beer. Under the BJCP guidelines it wouldn't fit under California Common for a number of reasons. So what is the appropriate name?

Rev.

I'm interested as well. The pilsner style ale I have bottled and aging is basically a hopped LME Muntons kit called an export pilsner, but with ale yeast.

Well its a traditional pilsener with a non traditional pilsener yeast. Hybrid pilsener or something fun like pilsener uncommon

One bump for good measure. Anyone else have any idea what such a beer would be called or classified as?

Rev.

cream ale

I was thinking that too but the maximum IBU according to the BJCP is 20 whereas German Pilsners are 45 maximum. I did 40 IBU for this beer. But yeah, I guess Cream Ale is the best category for it. Thanks.

Rev.

Yeah, if you're looking for a COMPETITION category, it's just a specialty, not much you can do about that. You could enter it as a pils, but that cali lager yeast is pretty distinctive- I suspect most judges would knock you for it.

Just call it a pilsner, though, no need to be fussy about it. You made a traditional lager with a traditional grainbill and fermented it with a slightly different than usual lager yeast.

Back