Orange Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyhall1987

Reaction score
This sounds really interesting and I want to give it a go. There is an interesting vid on youtube (Wurzel's Orange Wine).

Ingredients are as follows:

1 litre pure orange juice
1 Litre pure grape Juice
900g of ordinary sugar
1tsp pectolase
Yeast
Raisins (for use as nutrient)
Tannin

For later:
Potassium Sorbate
Finings

I will be fermenting in a 5 litre bottle bought from the supermarket.

Has anybody tried this? Does anyone had anyone advice?

Cheers

2012-11-04 14.47.00.jpg

I've never done it, but I'm planning on doing it in about a month or two when a fermenter frees up. It seems to be all the craze on the uk forums.
good luck!

I would not ferment just two liters in a five liter bottle...far too much head space. Unless you are speaking of using the 5L for primary container?

The recipe does not mention the use of campden/k-meta in the section where, once the wine is dry, the sorbate and finings are listed. If you are adding sorbate you must have an appropriate dose of k-meta on board or the sorbate will not work effectively.

Where did you buy the grape juice? I've had an eye out for the stuff but was starting to think its not sold in the UK!
In response to the previous post: I expect a full 5L is being made, with the juice being mixed with water and sugar.

Where did you buy the grape juice? I've had an eye out for the stuff but was starting to think its not sold in the UK!
In response to the previous post: I expect a full 5L is being made, with the juice being mixed with water and sugar.

tesco sell grape juice

Also available in larger quantities in Costco if you have a membership card and a branch near you. I spotted some when I was in the Manchester store the other day and made a mental note for future reference. Unfortunately I still search for frozen apple concentrate....

saramc said:
I would not ferment just two liters in a five liter bottle...far too much head space. Unless you are speaking of using the 5L for primary container?

The recipe does not mention the use of campden/k-meta in the section where, once the wine is dry, the sorbate and finings are listed. If you are adding sorbate you must have an appropriate dose of k-meta on board or the sorbate will not work effectively.

The bottle will be topped up water and sugar. I will be adding a Campden tab after the first rack, will this be sufficient for k meta?

dannyhall1987 said:
The bottle will be topped up water and sugar. I will be adding a Campden tab after the first rack, will this be sufficient for k meta?

I would think you will get a better flavor by topping up with addition grape juice, OJ, or a blend. I never, ever top up with water.
And one Campden tab per gallon is on par.

I will be making this soon...but wanted to ask if people are using white grape juice or a red grape such as commercially available 100% concord?

Approximately.

900g = 1.984 imperial lb not sure if US lb are different like gallons and pints are though.....

I would think you will get a better flavor by topping up with addition grape juice, OJ, or a blend. I never, ever top up with water.

I don't know if it's applicable to this wine but I've seen many country-wine recipes (both in books and on the internet) that use up to a gallon of water infused with fruit. Using water is not necessarily an issue if the recipe is already providing a lot of flavour.

Latest posts

Back