CO2 leakage somewhere

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheldon

Reaction score
I recently got a dual picnic tap set up for my new temperature controlled freezer and hooked up two kegs. It appears that I have a leak somewhere as I have now lost 2 full 5 lb CO2 tanks. I have sprayed soapy liquid on the lids of the kegs and not noticed any bubbling. I can not figure out where the leak could possibly be. Anyone have any ideas. I bought the entire set up from kegconnection.

Help!!!

I had to really jack up my pressures for the StarSan bubble trick to work. I'm talking about 30 psi. Fortunately it was a keg lid that was the culprit and I was able to reposition the lid for a better seal. If you are using worm gear clamps, consider stepless Oeticker clamps.

Duckredbeard

The clamps are stepless. I guess its time for a third tank and to pump up the pressure to check the kegs again. This is getting old and frustrating.

Sheldon

Make sure you are using a new fiber washer on your tank connection, it should be replaced every time you fill your tank.

You just need to check every single connection. Crank up your pressure as high as you can safely. If you still don't see bubbles, hold the connections under water and watch for bubbles. I found microscopic leaks that way. If you have any flare connections that are metal on metal, make sure you have a gasket in there.

Thanks folks for your assistance. I can't tell you how frustrated I am after losing 2 full tanks. I have placed a new washer at the tank connection both times. I will have to get the tank filled again and pump up the pressure as was suggested to 30 or more. I have a fully functional dual tap system that I got from kegconnection last Black Friday and it works fine.

Wish me luck.

Sheldon

So after a couple weeks of leaving the tank out of the fridge, i opened the valve and it has gas. i put a keg onto the gas and the gauges now show pressure when they showed zero gas in the tank when it was in the fridge. Does placing the tank in the fridge have that effect on the gauges???

sheldon

when my tank is in the keezer, the top gauge(high pressure port) reads about 500psi. When I leave it out of the keezer, it reads about 1000psi. The colder the tank is kept, the lower the reading on the high pressure gauge. This has been my experience, hope it helps.

when my tank is in the keezer, the top gauge(high pressure port) reads about 500psi. When I leave it out of the keezer, it reads about 1000psi. The colder the tank is kept, the lower the reading on the high pressure gauge. This has been my experience, hope it helps.

This happens to mine as well......

High pressure gauge is basically a thermometer. At low temps, low gas pressure, lower reading on gauge.
Raise the temp, higher pressure in tank, gauge goes up.

High pressure gauge is practically useless in a keezer

Back