Anyone got any Ostrich and/or Alligator Recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finally made it to this tiny butcher/wild game processor shop today, and came back with some gator and a tiny ostrich roast. I could have easily dropped a couple hundred bucks on everything from rattlesnake to kangaroo (next time) and wild boar.

426766_10151018121444067_2022036241_n.jpg

I'm thinking about just doing Alligator Po Boys for dinner tonight. But I'll still have some gator pieces left.

I'm thinking about doing the Ostrich Sous-Vide for dinner tomorrow. What I've read says to cook it in the bath for 3 hours @ 55c. Then I'll brown it off.

There's a handful of Ostrich recipes on the web, but nothing sounds too interesting.

Anyone got anything for either the Ostrich or the gator?

Theres a place here that specializes in burgers - boar, beef, salmon, turkey, ostrich. When they bring and ostrich burger out it smells nasty lol. Update on what you do with the stuff :mug:

Never used either but waiting for some good feedback as well as my butcher has both. I'm guessing Creamygoodness might have some ideas.

I think I'm going with a bourbon teriyaki marinade for the Ostrich.

1 cup teriyaki sauce (I'm making my own)
1/4 cup bourbon
1 tablespoon habanero hot sauce (I'm going to use rooster sauce I think)

I think I'm going with a bourbon teriyaki marinade for the Ostrich.

1 cup teriyaki sauce (I'm making my own)
1/4 cup bourbon
1 tablespoon habanero hot sauce (I'm going to use rooster sauce I think)

Ostrich is not gamey and also tastes nothing like chicken. Treat it much as you would beef, that recipe looks like it shoudl work quite well.

About the only ostrich we buy is the neck. We treat it a lot like ox tail, looooooooong slow cooking because it's quite tough. I'll normally add coca cola and red wine or a ruby port, aside from that nothing too fancy.

Gator's a common touristy appetizer down here. Always served in "nugget" form.

There's a restaurant near me that served lion once. Yes, lion. There was a GIANT public outcry and they told me they will never do that again. It came from a lion farm where they are raised just for that purpose.

Gator's a common touristy appetizer down here. Always served in "nugget" form.

Yeah, that's about the only way I've had it, either with some sort of dipping/roumalade sauce, or in a po-boy. That's why the Piquante recipe I found looks interesting, I'm going to do that for dinner monday night with whatever I have left over after tonight.

There's a restaurant near me that served lion once. Yes, lion. There was a GIANT public outcry and they told me they will never do that again. It came from a lion farm where they are raised just for that purpose.

Did you get to try any?

Here's the place I got this stuff from (plus some venison) they do mail order I think. Butcher Boy Meats.

Did you get to try any?

No. I've had elk there though.

Here's what's on the menu tonight. Reminds me of the Homer Simpson quote: "If god didn't want us to eat meat, he wouldn't have invented animals".

Buffalo Ribeye Steak
Elk Chops
Buffalo Tenderloin
Buffalo New York Strip
Buffalo Osso Bucco
Frenched Venison Loin Chops
Antelope New York Strip
Caribou Chops
Ostrich Filet
Braised Rabbit
Wild Boar Chops
Kangaroo
Black Bear
Yak
Rattlesnake
Burmese Python
Crocodile

I wonder what the market price on that would be?

At Butcher Boy Rump is 11.95/# I didn't pay attention to the prices on the Leg Boneless, Ground, Frenched Rack, or Fillet but the prices aren't all that bad at the place I went to, because they have a lot of it in small packets like I showed above.

I'm going to pick up some 'roo next time.

Not a bad looking alligator po boy for a northerner. :)
How'd it taste?

Oh damn that looks good! Damn damn. Gator can be a little chewy... how was it? That pilsner looks good too!

Not a bad looking alligator po boy for a northerner. :)
How'd it taste?

I fried the nuggets to perfection. I watched them like a hawk, and kept moving them in the oil til they were golden brown and delicious. I'm proud of myself, I suck at deep frying usually.

The only issue I have is that I have both Tony C and Zartaran's creole seasoning, and I used a little bit of both in the flour/cornmeal mixture. And it was too salty. I find that whenever I use either of those seasonings, or like this together, they just are too salty. I like the flavors of both of them, but they are too much for me. Is there something less salty out there? I know especially Tony C's is the definitive blend, but man....

Otherwise it was great. I made up a little creole mustard, and a little hot sauce, and it was heaven.

(The beer was Detroit Lager from the Detroit Brewing Company. Perfect with the sandwich.)

Revvy said:
The only issue I have is that I have both Tony C and Zartaran's creole seasoning, and I used a little bit of both in the flour/cornmeal mixture. And it was too salty. I find that whenever I use either of those seasonings, or like this together, they just are too salty. I like the flavors of both of them, but they are too much for me. Is there something less salty out there? I know especially Tony C's is the definitive blend, but man....

This is what I use for frying usually.

image-659979242.jpg

Otherwise I add garlic salt, pepper, paprika, and onion powder to my flour/cornmeal. Sorry no measurements, I just add by taste.

Well, here it is. Ostrich cooked sous vide and seared, with a Lelenau cherry wine/Mexican coke reduction. Served with rosemary and garlic roasted potatoes and collard greens.

2845_10151021033729067_51228096_n.jpg

I made a marinate with Leelanau Cellars cherry wine, Mexican coke, garlic, soy sauce and rooster sauce. Then cooked it in my ghetto sous-vide setup for 3 hours at 55 degrees Celsius. Then I pan seared it to brown it, and deglazed the pan with more cherry wine and some of the marinade and reduced it as a pan sauce.

It has an interesting texture, very beefy, but not quite. The problem is, I couldn't tell which way the grain went (the color of the meat, the fact that there's very little visible connective tissue and that it is difficult to tell on the seared surface of the meat made it difficult to tell which way the grain was going,) so I'm pretty sure I cut it the wrong way. I thought by the shape of the piece that I could tell which way the grain went. Next time, if I can tell I'll lay it out opposite of how I would a steak and see if I got it.

Or maybe that is just the way the texture is.

It was tasty though. It really didn't seem to take the marinade that well, but the pan sauce made up for it.

Johan, by the way, thanks for the Coke/Ruby Port suggestion, it's because of that that I went with using Mexican Coke and Michigan cherry wine.

I'm going to use that combination in the future for other things.

:mug:

I would assume ostrich would be lean, right? Or is it more like duck, that picture looks like duck breast

I like a duck breast recipe from Fat by Jennifer McLaggen that uses port to deglaze the pan with orange zest and blackberries.

Well, here it is. Ostrich cooked sous vide and seared, with a Lelenau cherry wine/Mexican coke reduction. Served with rosemary and garlic roasted potatoes and collard greens.

2845_10151021033729067_51228096_n.jpg

I made a marinate with Leelanau Cellars cherry wine, Mexican coke, garlic, soy sauce and rooster sauce. Then cooked it in my ghetto sous-vide setup for 3 hours at 55 degrees Celsius. Then I pan seared it to brown it, and deglazed the pan with more cherry wine and some of the marinade and reduced it as a pan sauce.

It has an interesting texture, very beefy, but not quite. The problem is, I couldn't tell which way the grain went (the color of the meat, the fact that there's very little visible connective tissue and that it is difficult to tell on the seared surface of the meat made it difficult to tell which way the grain was going,) so I'm pretty sure I cut it the wrong way. I thought by the shape of the piece that I could tell which way the grain went. Next time, if I can tell I'll lay it out opposite of how I would a steak and see if I got it.

Or maybe that is just the way the texture is.

It was tasty though. It really didn't seem to take the marinade that well, but the pan sauce made up for it.
That really looks good.

Johan, by the way, thanks for the Coke/Ruby Port suggestion, it's because of that that I went with using Mexican Coke and Michigan cherry wine.

I'm going to use that combination in the future for other things.

:mug:
My pleasure.:mug:

:D The one way I have really enjoyed ostrich was indeed on a burger with an avacado/jalapeno spread on top. Your recipe looks like a great marinade, Revvy... how about then cubing it and making kabobs over quinoa with a few dashes of Jamaican gravy?

Yknow what I should do? Notice that there are 3 pages of posts instead of just one, and comment AFTER reading them all! Hehe.

There is a restaurant called Skipper's Smokehouse in Tampa that makes Smoked Alligator Ribs. They are quite delicious - taste like a mixture of pork and kingfish if that makes any sense. Next time you get you hands on some gator tail consider the smoker.

Found a video from Man vs Food (I have had that grouper reuben as well...also off the chain...):

http://youtu.be/rS2h0T2zF-4

Back