PSI Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicMike

Reaction score
Hi there this is one of my many interesting newbie questions that I wanted to ask here in this awesome forum.

If I wanted to force-carb a bottle of water at say, 60PSI for about 30 seconds shaking it, will I get the same result if I were to use 30PSI but shaking it for 5 minutes?

Wanna know if a higher carbonation can be achieved by using a lower PSI but for a longer duration, thanks

Kind of... Not going into mathematical curves or anything...
But if you pressurize at 30 psi and shake for 5 minutes, the limit it can get to is 30 psi. (so it's possible to be done before then).
60psi will have an increased pressure to time curve and will get to 30 psi (or potentially overshoot to get to 60) so if you shake for a minute, it should be good.

I get lazy quite often and shake at 40-50 psi rather than 30 and shake less when I don't feel like trying to exercise. Admittedly, I also do this with my beer (pressurizing at 30 instead of 15) and sometimes overshoot and have to let it vent a little to get back down to 15 psi.

There's a post over in the kegging thread about a generic relation to pressure and shaking, but I don't believe any of us have a plotted graph that says shaking (at such and such whatever shaking measurement there is) for 5 seconds at 60 psi equals X seconds at 30 psi.

Back