Coffee Stout, but no chocolate malt. Grocery Store Substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachj9292

Reaction score
I am making a coffee stout:

8 lbs of pale malt
.5 lb of honey malt
.5 lb of c60
.25 lbs of roasted barley
? lbs of coffee beans (cold extraction)
.5 lbs of lactose

Ive got an oz of mt hood and an oz of wiliamette. Don't know how i will hop it yet.

2 packs of safale s05 (starter)

I need to know what i could use to get a chocolate flavor in my coffee stout. Im not going to order online again just for that. No lhbs anymore...

I was thinking about using something from the grocery store. Bakers Chocolate?

Bakers chocolate in the boil. You can melt it first so it will blend better and not scorch in the pot. Bakers chocolate will also add bitterness.

I bought one pack of the semi sweet bakers chocolate and will add it to the boil. I do not have any lactose(milk sugar) and could not find any at the grocery though

Do you guys think lactose would make a good addition to a coffee stout anyways?

Just mash high like 156, for more mouth feel and unfermentables that should counter not having the milk suger, another trick would be to reduce your first runnings by half and then add back to the main boil to add a little more sweetness

good advice, but I made an irish red instead b/c I had some c 40 and roasted barley on hand. I couldn't find any lactose anywhere locally. I will wait and order some chocolate/coffee type recipe online later

Depending on the coffee that you use in your cold extraction it can actually add a lot of chocolate notes. The last time I did a coffee stout I didn't add any chocolate malt, but the coffee gave it a huge chocolate flavor.

Regular chocolate malt is called chocolate malt because of its color. It tastes nothing like chocolate. Its more roast/burnt. Pale chocolate will give you more of a chocolate flavor. IF you are looking for a chocolate taste i would go with cocoa nibs steeped in vodka for a week or cocoa powder or bakers chocolate. Do not use sweetened chocolate as it will kill head retention because of milk fats. Use sparingly because bakers chocolate is bitter as hell.

If you are looking for a chocolate malt substitution go with roasted barley or a carafa malt.

Latest posts

Back