still no growth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ennis2000000000

Reaction score
I have had my hops in the ground for a little over 2 weeks still no visual growth wondering if its pretty normal or not by the way I'm living in mn and we have been getting some kinda cold weather

Mine that I planted a little over two weeks sprouted yesterday. So with that, and based on other threads about the same issue, I'd guess you are fine to wait another week or two. Plus we had a couple days of hot weather 70+ degrees right before they sprouted. I'm guessing the warm weather helped, so if your weather has been cold it may be delaying them a little. That's just a guess on my part though.

Rhizomes I'm not to worried about them drying out we have been getting a little rain almost every day last week and the ground is pretty moist

I'm about 150 miles north of you and I planted 7 rhizomes about 2.5 weeks ago. Two of my rhizomes sprouted out about a week after planting. Another 3 sprouted at about 2 weeks. The other 2 still have yet to break the surface, but I know they are doing OK since I was curious yesterday and pulled some of the dirt away and found some beautiful sprouts just 1/4 inch beneath the surface. This cooler weather we are having here in the Upper Midwest probably isn't helpful. As long as your rhizomes were healthy when you planted them you should be OK, heck some critter even dug up one of my rhizomes and it was out of the soil for over a day and I stuck it right back in the ground and it is doing OK. I would be patient and once soil temps come up they should take off. Also certain varieties are a little slower than others. BTW, I've got all Cascades.

Ya I pulled a little dirt away and there is shoots just under the surface so hopfully soon ill be seeing some thing above ground soon. Got trellis up ready to rock

ForumRunner_20120423_125822.jpg

Rhizomes I'm not to worried about them drying out we have been getting a little rain almost every day last week and the ground is pretty moist

They need heat. Just hang out and if you kept them moist and they didn't get root rot or freeze or react to something toxic then they will probably come up. I predict success.:tank:

All my second years are up. The first year sterlings are just poking out with the exception of one that has buds on the eyes but no sprouts. I figure once we get some 70+ days and decently warm nights they will all shoot up quite rapidly. No worries, they are hardy little suckers.

No worries. I planted my first hops in mid-March and didn't see anything until a week ago. About 4 weeks, I'd estimate. I was a little worried as I thought I had waited for our "cold" Washington weather to pass... and then it proceeded to snow on my hops they day I planted them. Go figure crazy Northwest weather.

Anyway, once they sprouted, they grew about 4 inches in less than a week. All is probably well.

Back