Scaling Jack Keller's Apple Concentrate Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcountrybrew

Reaction score
All,

I want to make the following Recipe, but would like to scale up from one gallon to 5. Do I just multiply all ingredients by 5, except the yeast? Just want to make sure I get the right balance of acid blend, pectin, etc. I want to use Old Orchard's Apple Cherry Concentrate. I think that one will work.

APPLE CONCENTRATE WINE
2 12-oz cans frozen apple concentrate
2 lbs granulated sugar
1 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 crushed Campden tablet
¼ tsp tannin
3 qts water
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkt Champagne wine yeast
Bring 1 qt water to boil and stir in sugar until completely dissolved. Pour frozen apple concentrate in primary and add boiling sugar-water. Add remaining 2 qts cold water, acid blend, tannin, yeast nutrient, and crushed Campden tablet. Stir well, cover primary and set aside for 12 hours. Stir in pectic enzyme and recover primary. After additional 12 hours, add activated yeast and recover primary. Stir daily for 10 days, keeping covered. Rack into gallon secondary, top up if required and fit airlock. Rack, top up and refit sirlock every 60 days for 6 months. Stabilize, sweeten if desired and wait 2 weeks. Rack into bottles and set aside one year. [Adapted recipe from Terry Garey's The Joy of Home Winemaking]

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Yes, just multiply by 5. Well, I wouldn't do that with the tannin, though. Add maybe 1/2 the tannin that is called for when you multiply it, and only add more if needed. Tannin is what provides the "bite" to wines. Too much will take years to age out. You can add 1/2, and stir it well and taste it. Add a tiny bit more if it needs it. A little tannin goes a long way, and may not be needed since you're using cherry juice in addition to the apple juice.

Thank you! I would have bet my paycheck would have been the one to answer this first..of course my paycheck is only like $2.00 these days :) I will add half and then taste..sounds like a good plan to me.

Thanks again!

How do you stir daily for 10 days keeping it covered? Just slosh it around in the container or uncover it, stir it, then cover it back up?

This will probably have enough bite anyway mate, I wouldn't worry about tannin. In my experience, anything made from apples at home can be very sharp.

1 packet of wine yeast should be fine for 5 gallons. If it appears to stop early, add more. :)

Latest posts

Back