Saddleback Valley Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LexusChris

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
US-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
7.0 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 69-F
Tasting Notes
An American West-Coast Pale Ale reminiscent of Mirror Pond PA or Sierra Nevada PA.
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Saddleback Valley Pale Ale
Brewer: LexusChris
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0) Golden straw color w/thick off-white head. Light carmel nose w/citrus notes. Light carmel malt taste with tangerine flavors, finishing towards grapefruit. Good body & mouthfeel with nice carbonation.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.27 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 7.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 88.89 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
0.50 oz Warrior [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 19.5 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
0.50 oz Warrior [11.00 %] (15 min) Hops 9.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (2 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Dry Ale (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Notes:
------
Steep Crystal at 155-F for 30 mins.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have been trying to build a good session APA recipe for a while. When my LHBS ran an extract only competition, I created this recipe and brewed up. Sadly, I did not win the competition, but this is the best pale ale I've ever made. I over-carb'd it a bit, and need to work on the clarity, but it tastes wonderfull!

:mug:
--LexusChris

SVPA.jpg

View attachment SVPA.xml

Makin' it this coming weekend. I substituted the Cascade for 2oz of AHS Magic Dust just for kicks.

Any way I can get an in depth review from you LexusChris? Have you improved upon this recipe at all?

Heya,

I haven't rebrewed this recipe since then, for no other reason than I've been playing with some other styles. (Although I just kegged an all-grain APA which also turned out really good.) So, the best review/description of the flavor is what I posted at the top of the recipe. I don't have any left to revisit it now.

If I were to do this recipe again, I might be tempted to move the Warrior (15 min) hop addition to flame-out (0 min), or just replace it with another hop. There was a discussion in the HBT recipe forum about Warrior hops, and where best to use them. Seemed like folks liked them best as bittering, with some folks liking them as aroma additions at the very end of the boil. Some folks have had some harshness coming through when used in flavor (25-15 minute) adds.

If you are thinking about a mini-mash, I think a little bit of Vienna malt would really shine on this recipe. Maybe one pound or so.

Other than that, brew it up and let us know how it came out!

:mug:
--LexusChris

Just a short update for any of you who are subscribed to this:

I took a gravity reading yesterday to see where i was in the fermentation schedule and it came out almost identical to LexusChris' picture above. Since i switched Cascade for AHS hop dust obviously the hop profile is different so it doesn't compared to Mirror Pond like his does, however, the hop profile is very unique and strong. I'd say a sweet/bitter combination right at the back of your tongue is where they're hitting me right now.
The hydrometer sample i tasted was flat and warm-ish but i think it's gonna be excellent once i get those happy bubbles forced into solution!

Back